ROT

THALIA VASSILIEVA IS A TRAITOR. She has been reminded of that every day since she left home. She is reminded as she settles into life at the Little Palace, training alongside her fellow Grisha to take her place in the Second Army when the time comes. When nightfall arrives and sleep finally takes over her body, Thalia dreams of her mother's face, stained with tears and her lips parted in a scream as she watches her only child be dragged away.

          "You mustn't let them know," Papa had said, the words leaving a nasty, cottonmouth texture in their wake. "If they find out, they will take you away. We already lost your brother, and we will not lose you too."

          She hadn't mean to. She had been supposed to pretend she was sick. Her mother had dabbed her cheeks with a hot towel, reddening them and raising her body temperature. She had been sobbing over Thalia's bedside when the Grisha testers arrived, claiming that her daughter had been overtaken by an unknown disease and that these were her dying days. They'd been only footsteps from the front gate when Thalia ripped free of her mother's hold and called them back. She'd insisted it was all a facade, she was fine and she wished to be tested.

          Corporalki, they called her. Heartrender, they later specified.

          She can control the heart, and she's a traitor.

From there, Thalia seemed to have turned her ability to enjoy her life off. She didn't deserve it. She did not deserve to live a lavish life at the Little Palace. She deserved to be shunned and barricaded from humanity. A traitor to her own family. They'd tried so hard to keep her power a secret, and just as they'd nearly gotten away with it, Thalia threw it all away for tea with a cube of sugar and dinner that did not consist of hardened bread and watered down soup.

Traitor traitor traitor. The words poisoned her mind. A constant reminder. You did this. Your family is without a child and shunned from the world. You did this. But it's only human, isn't it? To make a mistake. To try your hardest to mend it and to make up for all the pain that you have caused. It's human, all of it. The irony is almost laughable.

Thalia Vassilieva: Soldier of the Second Army, Heartrender, Traitor, Human.

And if there is anyone who knows something about being human, it is Malyen Oretsev. Orphan, Best Friend, Entirely Normal and just about everything Thalia has ever wanted to be in life. Everything she's ever wanted to be with, if we're getting into the specifics. But it'll never happen. Not for someone like Thalia. Not with someone like Mal.

So Thalia will carry on as she did before. No distractions. No loving someone who will never love her back. And she'll let it hurt. She has the power to control the human heart, but her own? That's an entirely different ball game. Her heart is in his hands, and what he does with it is the choice of his own.

Set my heart ablaze and watch it rot. It's nothing less than I deserve.

alycia debnam-carey / thalia vassilieva

eleanor tomlinson / zaria petrovacourtney eaton / alina starkovmishti rahman / zoya nazyalenskyanya chalotra / katarina levitsky

courtney eaton / alina starkov
mishti rahman / zoya nazyalensky
anya chalotra / katarina levitsky

❝ I'M MORE OF A 'I CARE ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OF MY ACTIONS' TYPE OF GIRL. YOU MIGHT BE FAMILIAR WITH IT?❞

i. nobody, mitski ii. august, taylor swift iii. liability, lorde iv. back to life, zayn v. paper houses, niall horan vi. best thing i never had, beyoncé vii. lover of mine, 5 seconds of summer viii. slipping through my fingers, abba ix. comfort crowd, conan gray x. praying, kesha

trigger warnings include: blood, gore, violence, mentions of child abuse, ptsd, panic attacks, anxiety, major character death, possible mentions of sexual assault. please read at your own risk.

authors note:
i hate this summary what even. i promise the plot is better than the summary hahaha i simply have no brain atm. but welcome to ROT! i'm so excited to write this and thalia because she's my baby and such a sweet girl. she's never done any wrong ever.

so, this will be compiled of both show and book aspects. for example, zoya will be better because the show did her dirty. the crows will be included whenever i can fit them in since this is primarily a mal fic. if you are a show watcher reading this and ever are confused about something regarding a part out of the books, please just drop a comment and i'll fill you in!

i'm going to leave it here, but please remember to leave votes and comments because they are my lifeline and without them i think i'll simply die! see you in the first chapter besties xxx

credit for the alina & zoya fan cast is bloodlupins !! they are a genius and i love them sm