In Which Sam Understands

{Dean's POV}

When we got to the library, Sam raised his eyebrows. "You're done already?"

"What?" Cas coughed.

My brother waved away the angel's question. "Oh, nothing."

"Alright," I started, "Sam, can we talk to you? We need to tell you something."

"Um, obviously," he said, setting down the book he was reading. He pulled out a chair and sat down, motioning for us to follow suit.

Cas and I exchanged a glance and I shrugged. He sighed before speaking. "I think it'd be best to show you." He took a step toward the taller man and Sam frowned.

"Wait, what? Show me what?"

We both ignored him as Cas pressed his fingers to his forehead. Sam's eyes widened and he sucked in a deep breath. "What," he gasped, "was that?"

"The past," Cas replied. "Our past." He lifted our hands, which had found their way together again. "Our past. I'm so sorry."

"But," he said, pointing to me, "you," and then to Cas, "and you? And me," he pointed to himself, then swallowed before saying the next thing, "and Jess? And, and Dad? And Anna? And Gabe?" We nodded at his rambling. Sam was not taking this well.

"Sam," I tried, "listen. Do you remember the bottle I had that night?" He bit his lip and nodded. "That was Cas's grace. He had to erase our memories so he and all the other angels could return to Heaven."

"We weren't hunters?"

I shook my head. "No. We weren't."

He was quiet for a minute, taking everything in. "So, you two?"

I smiled at Cas and squeezed his hand. "Yeah." Cas grinned back.

"Okay," Sam said abruptly. "Enough with the heart eyes." He stood up and pushed his chair in. "It's nice to remember. I guess I'll have to deal with you two doing more than staring now. Alright." He turned back to the bookshelves and looked at us out of the corner of his eye. "Just keep it down, please." And he went back to the books.

Cas blushed and buried his head in my shoulder. I ran my hand through his hair. "Come on," I said. "Let's go fix up Baby."

Sorry these chapters have been so short. I'll try to make the next ones longer for you guys.