Chapter 12

Two boys finally pulled out of their embrace, after a long few minutes of heavy tears.

"You feeling better?" Jake asked, rubbing Zander's back, as he stood beside the mauve-haired boy.

"Yeah, I just needed some time to cool off," The latter sniffled, rubbing his eyes. After a few moments, he decided to apologize, "Sorry about that... I've actually considered confessing to Luke quite a few times these past few days. I guess that's made me emotional."

"Don't worry about it," The blond boy gave his shorter friend a small, reassuring smile.

Zander briefly returned it, "Thank you, Jake... I really do appreciate-" He was cut off by a soft buzz. Zander reached into his back pocket, pulling out his phone. A text from Hailey. He opened it to see what it read.

Zander, you have to confess right now! Stacy's going to confess to him really soon! You have to hurry!

His violet eyes widened even more after each word. After re-reading the text about four times, just to make sure he read it correctly, his head darted up at Jake.

"I-I have to go!" He stammered, "I have to go confess!" Not having the time to give the hazel-eyed boy a proper explanation, Zander ran out of the run, stumbling as he scattered to find the boy he loved.

He didn't even worry if Luke returned his feelings or not. The only thought rushing through his mind was that he had to beat Stacy to her confession.

He had to beat her to Luke's heart.

--- (Not exactly how it works, Zander, but sure)

"There's something I have to tell you."

The lights from the hallway were bright. The sounds of students talking and rushing to class drowned out anything else. Yet... Why did it seem so silent and dark in that moment? Something was about to go down. Luke could feel it in his gut. Something bad. Like a volcano, waiting to erupt, a disaster, waiting to unravel...

Luke held a clearly concerned look in his soft gaze, "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah!" Stacy quickly assured, before her small smile faded, "Um, actually maybe not..."

"Stace, you're scaring me," He exhaled in a nervous laugh, fiddling with the rim of his velvet scarf, as he fidgeted in anticipation, bracing himself for whatever Stacy was about to tell him.

She took a deep, shaky breath before advancing, "Do you remember when we went to the movies? And I spilled that soda onto Zander...?" Her eyes remained glued on the ground, tears brimming them, as unsteady breaths left her body, her heart pounding against her chest, "And... We kicked Jake out of the band..."

"Yeah..." The ginger boy murmured, clearly uneasy with the dreary, suspenseful tone his childhood friend had set for them, "What about it?"

"Remember how I told you Jake made me spill it?"

Luke somehow knew what he was about to hear. He somehow knew what she was about to confess to him. Based on the context he was given so far, it was quite predictable. He knew exactly what she was about to tell him... So, why was it such a shock to him when the words "I lied," fell out of her mouth?

Thousand of thoughts flooded his mind, some of them managed to escape his thoughts and passing through his lips as a question.

"Why would you do that?" "Why would you hurt Zander and Jake?" "I never would've thought you'd do something like that..." "Why would you lie to us?"

The dozens of questions slamming against her, showering onto her like sharp blades of guilt, endless spikes of remorse.

There was one in particular, that hurt far more than the rest of them. The regret hit her harder than anyone would ever understand. Not because of the words, no, utterly and solely because of all the hurt, misery, and confusion laced over his delicate, soft voice.