Chapter 8 - Master Bang's disciple

I finally reach his dojo up in the mountains. It has a door on it which says 'Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist' which I open. "Hello?" I call out. "Anyone home? Is this anyone's home?" Silverfang and another person are training in the middle of the dojo, which is otherwise empty. He knocks the student down with one hand and turns to greet me.

"Ah, Alpha! I had a feeling you'd come here," he says casually. He's a lot more laid back than I expected. "So, to what do I owe this visit?"

I close the door behind me. "You know why I'm here, Silverfang. I want to learn under you, to become a stronger and better hero."

Silverfang sighs. "I'm not sure... I taught your parents, and I don't think it's the best thing for you to go down the same path as them, after what happened. But, unfortunately, I made a promise to them," he says. A promise? "That if you ever came here asking for help, I would help you to the best of my ability." Thank goodness, I thought I was going to have to bribe or blackmail him! "So, what would you like to learn?" he asks.

Wow, that was quick. "Well-" I'm quickly cut off by someone running up the stairs to the dojo, out of breath.

He stops at the door and looks at Silverfang like there's no one else in the room. "Silverfang! You're here, good!"

Silverfang turns away from me and to the messenger. "What is it? Don't tell me there's another meteor?" he asks.

He shakes his head. "No, Sir. There's been a call from the Hero Association! All S Class heroes have to attend a critical meeting at once! It is completely mandatory, so you must come right away!" he explains. Woah! I've never heard of something being so important that the Association would enforce something like this so strongly. It must be something that could threaten several cities.

"Alright then. We'll go immediately." 'We'? "Me and my new disciple, Alpha. Come to think of it, we need to get you a hero name. How about... Silver Bullet?"

Not only is that way too similar to Golden Bullet, it's clearly just you trying to... brand me?! Also, it has no meaning or correlation to my fighting style or hero work. Of course, I don't say this out loud. I don't want to make the same mistake as I did with Snek. Either way, I'm taken aback by his decision. "Are you sure, Sir?"

"Now, Alpha. What did your parents teach you about how to address your teacher?" he says.

Oh, right. They taught me a lot about martial arts, both in practice and in theory. "So, you're the founder and teacher of your martial arts... head of the dojo... so you'd either be a Shuseki Shihan, a Hanshi, or a... Kancho?" I ask.

He nods. "Very good. It seems that your parents taught you well. But let's avoid the confusion and you call me Master, shall we? Now, we really must be going, student," he says as he walks away.

Sounds good to me. Although I shouldn't be doing anything in the state I'm in, it would be a bad impression to leave now. "Y-yes, master! I run after him, stumbling a little.

—————

After a while, we reach the headquarters of the Hero Association. It's a tall, black cuboid without any windows or visible doors. To enter we have to go through a hidden underground entrance. When we reach the entrance, other S Class heroes are gathering. Atomic Samurai shakes Master Bang's hand. "Yo, Silverfang! You got a new disciple with you? How's he doing with your training?" he asks.

"Well, I can't say, because Alpha only became my disciple less than an hour ago. But I can already tell that he has some promise," Master Bang replies.