Chapter 5: I'm Not The Hero

Clay's POV

It was midnight, and I was the hall monitor. Literally, the worst job Tsunami could've given me. I walked through the hall until I heard some grunting. At first, I thought something really inappropriate, but when I heard that the grunting came from the training room, I instantly knew who was training. 

I walked into the training room and saw Peril working on her footwork. After doing a few paces, she lit a ball of fire and placed it on a candle. She turned to the exit, but when she saw me, she yelped in surprise. "Woah, Woah, it's just me," I reassured. 

"I'm sorry," Peril apologized. I shrugged and smiled sheepishly. 

"It's fine," I chuckled. I looked at the candle and pointed to it. "Care to practice?" I asked. Peril raised her eyebrow suspiciously. 

"Why? I can kill you easily," stated Peril. 

"I know, but I have fireproof skin, remember?" I reminded. Peril nodded then sighed. 

"Alright, but just so you know, I won't go easy," Peril said, grinning. I smirked then prepared to attack Peril. She lit her hands then threw a small ball of fire at my hands. I hissed in pain but continued to fight the Amazonian. Peril swung her foot so that it would hit me, but I grabbed it before it touched my face. 

Peril's eyes widened but gave me a determined look. I snuck behind her and locked my hands around her neck softly. Peril tensed but threw me to the ground. I landed with a small oof. I got up quickly but was met with Peril's scorching hot flames. I looked down and saw my skin healing. 

Peril was about to hit me with another ball of fire, but I crouched to the ground and swiped my feet against hers. This caused her to fall on her butt. I crawled over to her, pinning her legs and arms. My palms stung at the contact, but I ignored it. "So," I said, panting. "Who won?" 

"Me." Suddenly, her hands burst into flames. I held back my painful cry and moved away from her. Peril jumped up with a large smirk on her face. But it soon dwindled when she saw my hands. 

I looked down and saw that my palms were so burnt that I could barely see my skin color. I hid my hands behind my back. "Uh..." 

"I'm so sorry," Peril gasped. "How can I help? Can I help?" she begged. I looked into her blue eyes and saw something that I haven't seen in years. She didn't have to tell me, but her eyes gave it away. "I'm not the hero. I'm the villain," her eyes said. Peril turned away, afraid that I'll see her tears. 

"Peril, it's fine. I'm fine," I reassured. She shook her head. "Peril, I'm fine. This is what happens when you fight. People get hurt. It's normal," I said. 

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" she snapped. 

"I don't know, but I'm going to wash up," I sighed. I walked over to the door and looked at her wistfully. "But before you run away, just know that I'm glad you're here."