Chapter Two

I see the building I need and speed towards the high fences with adrenaline rushing through my veins, the blood beginning to dry on my skin. I'm not sure this will even work but it's my last resort and only hope. I slow down once I reach the security gate and roll down my window. My hands are covered in another man's blood and I'm sure I look deranged.

"Identification." The man with dark sunglasses states. I swallow my nerves and clear my throat.

"I don't have any. I'm here seeking refuge." I say in hopes that he will let me through. I never wanted to be here and never thought I would be here, but if I want to live it's my only option. The man leans closer to me and pulls his sunglasses down to where I can see his eyes peering over. He takes a quick look inside my car and surely notices my blood-stained hands and car. He readjusts the sunglasses on his face and clears his throat.

"So I'm just supposed to let you in? You could have a weapon of mass destruction in the car." In a way he isn't wrong but I'm not about to get into technicalities right now. I shake my head and pleadingly look into his eyes.

"Sir, I am here seeking refuge. You can interrogate me and search my car. I don't have anything on me or in the car that could hurt anyone. Please." My voice wavers at the end sensing that this might not work the way I hoped it would.

What if they don't let me in? What am I supposed to do then? Am I going to have to run and hide again somewhere else? That would be pointless, they would just find me again. They know where I'm at now, there's no hiding by myself anymore.

The man stands up straight and walks back to the small booth which controls the traffic barrier. He speaks into a walkie talkie, I can't hear what he's saying. I pick at the blood-crusted skin around my fingers and watch the man intently, tears burning at the corners of my eyes. After a few minutes of dialogue, the man comes back to my car.

"You're going to drive through and take a left. There will be someone waiting to take you in for questioning and we're going to search your car. If anything harmful or dangerous is found you will be criminally tried in the court of law. Do you understand?" I nod my head with wide eyes.

I can't believe it worked. He walks back to the booth and lifts the bar, I roll my car slowly through and follow the path he told me to. Just as he said, there was someone waiting for me. I put my car into park and turn it off, grabbing my bag I had thrown in the passenger seat.

"Put the bag down and step out of the car." The man waiting for me states with a tone of authority. I do as he instructs and I close the car door behind me. The man approaches and pulls out a pair of handcuffs.

"You are not under arrest, you are being detained for security reasons. Do not resist. Resisting will result in criminal charges. I am going to escort you to an interrogation room and your items will be searched." He rambles on as he tightens the cuffs around my wrists behind my back. I nod my head in understanding and walk alongside the man.

Glass doors part for us as we enter the modern-style building. There are people all over the place, talking, making phone calls, putting projections into the air. I look around at the operations and I'm surprised they would walk someone who is detained through this area, there's so much information that could potentially be gathered. As we walk through the busy room, I can't help but feel self conscious as people stare at me as we pass through.

The man escorts me down a hallway that's lined with heavy iron doors. We stop in front of one and he unlocks it with his card. He pushes me slightly into the room and sits me down in the chair, connecting my cuffs to a metal fixture on the desk so I can't go anywhere.

"Someone will be in shortly." He leaves the room and I hear the click of the lock. I look around the monochromatic room. It's devoid of any decorations or warmth. It's very cold, and I spot a camera in the corner of the room, it's no surprise they're already monitoring my every move.