Chapter Eight

I knock on Steve's door, not having heard from him since he left Bucky's room yesterday. He said he was going to catch up, but never did. This isn't like him, it's making me a little nervous as to what's going on. He opens the door, not yet dressed in uniform.

"Come on in." He says and rubs his eyes. I walk into his room and see that it's set up similarly to mine, but his is more personalized. I sit on the edge of his bed and watch as he grabs his uniform.

"Where'd you go last night?" I question him, looking around his room some more. Though it may be none of my business, I'm still curious. Steve runs a hand through his hair and sighs.

"I was talking to Fury about a few things and it lasted longer than I thought it would. I asked him about letting Bucky out of the room and he said he would have to talk to you about that, so expect that today. I'm not sure if you think he's ready, but I think he is." He says and I nod my head,

"I was actually thinking the same thing last night." I say, electing to not question what else he was talking to Fury about even though I was hoping he would have told me. I look away as Steve puts his uniform on, and walk over to his own record player, recalling the events of last night. A soft smile crosses my face as I remember Bucky's peacefulness as we danced. I run my finger along the edge of the player and notice Steve has a collection of records as well, I bet he picked which ones were given to Bucky.

"You ready to go?" Steve knocks me out of my memory and I nod my head, following him to Fury's office. Steve's strides are longer and quicker than mine, and I struggle to keep pace with him. I can tell he's eager to speak to Fury. Truth be told so am I, but I have a feeling Fury isn't going to be easily convinced. People part ways for him as he walks through the halls and we reach Fury's office in record time.

 A man stands in Fury's office and turns to face us. My blood runs cold and I feel as though my heart has stopped. I know this man. I avert my gaze, hoping that he doesn't recognize me. I step behind Steve as the man speaks up,

"Well Director, I'll follow up with you on that." I see his shoes leave the office and walk right past Steve and I. I look up as he passes us, and we make eye contact. The man's eyes linger for a second longer than I would have liked and he smirks before he continues walking. I swallow hard, trying to make sense of it all. Fury's voice interrupts my thoughts as Steve and I walk into the office and I try to focus on the matter at hand.

"Adalyn, Steve and I were discussing Bucky being released from the room last night. Steve thinks he's ready and I wanted your opinion on the matter, seeing as how you're the expert here." I lick my lips and nod,

"Yeah, I think Bucky has done a phenomenal job of handling the stress of resurfacing memories. He's stable and hasn't shown any signs of regression at all. Of course, even if something did happen, which I don't think it will, I have the ability to control the situation if something drastic happens. I am confident he will not pose a threat to anyone here." I state, lacing my fingers together in front of me. I know I haven't put Bucky through any sort of simulated high-stress test but considering that he's had no Winter Soldier tendencies I don't think it's necessary anymore. The Director puts a hand on his chin and thinks for a few moments.

"Alright. I trust your judgement. He is your responsibility, the both of you. If anything does happen, there will be significant consequences and not just for the two of you." Fury says and we both nod. I understand the weight of his statement clearly. There's a lot on the line. Though I am surprised he was that open to the idea. I was sure he was going to push back on it. Maybe Steve was convincing last night.

"Understood, thank you." Steve says and I also extend my gratitude to the Director. Before I can say anything else, Steve is pulling me towards Bucky's room. I really needed to speak to Fury about the man in his office, but I guess it'll have to wait.