Chapter 13

It had been yet another week since Chuuya had aged up, and Dazai was fully expecting their luck to escape them soon.

It had been a rather calm week, Chuuya staying inside of their apartment for most of the time. It was for the best that way anyways.

The week was blissfully uneventful, the old lady had stopped by a few times and Chuuya had to switch to the role of Dazai's child fast, which Dazai always found amusing.

Dazai didn't take Chuuya back to the agency, though Yosano did pay them a visit so she could formally 'meet' Chuuya. (Without her lab coat Chuuya reacted a lot better. He even seemed to like her.)

Chuuya seemed to become acclimated to the new environment more, Dazai noticed that the times he had slipped off to hide in the restroom and came back with teary eyes had lessened.

He was also getting his snark back, the attitude that Dazai had definitely not missed. Totally not.

And of course, there was the cat. Mackerel had betrayed him (not that they had an alliance going in the first place,) and followed Chuuya wherever he went like some kind of fluffy bodyguard.

Chuuya seemed happy with this development and even carried Mackerel wherever he went.

Whatever, if Chuuya wanted to give more of his attention to the cat, then it was less work for Dazai to do.

Not only was Chuuya's mental state starting to stabilize (though it would probably never be completely okay,) so had his physical state.

Dazai stopped having to wrap his whole body in bandages, to which Chuuya had proclaimed that they 'weren't matching anymore.'

While Chuuya was still scarred, the clothes covered most of them and Dazai knew that with Arahabaki they would fade quickly.

Despite this Chuuya's presence, Dazai couldn't help but wake up every morning to see if he had aged up.

It wasn't good to keep lying to Chuuya about his escape from the lab, he was becoming used to his surroundings and it would only hurt more when he woke up in that place once again with only the belief that this was some twisted daydream.

And Dazai missed the hatrack though he would take that statement to the grave.

Plus Chuuya would kill him due to the amount of work he had missed with the Port Mafia. He no doubt had mountains of paperwork piling on his desk and the Chibi was going to take his anger out on Dazai.

(Though at least that way he would be back to normal instead of the traumatized child who had just been a lab experiment.)

And Chuuya did eventually age up, though the Chibi was dramatic and of course he had to say his grand farewell with many events that would drive Dazai insane.

And first off... Dazai really shouldn't have left Chuuya alone in his apartment, though in his defense he would only be gone for a few minutes and Chuuya could take care of himself.

But when he returned Chuuya simply... wasn't there.

"Chibi?" Dazai called, opening the broom closet to come face to face with cleaning supplies. His eyebrow twitched and he quickly slammed it shut, moving on to search the restroom.

"This isn't a funny prank, are you anywhere?" Dazai checked the ceilings and once he was completely sure that Chuuya was not in his apartment, he thumbed through the contacts on his phone, pressing the contact.

"This better be good Dazai!" Kunikida yelled through the phone. Leave it to him to always answer when no one else would.

"Yes, we have a bit of a situation Kunikida-Kun."