Chapter 24

Getting Chuuya back to the agency had seemed a daunting task at first, but once Dazai forced him to chug down a few water bottles he seemed slightly more steady on his feet.

Thankfully he also seemed to understand that walking was a must and that getting into bar fights with random men was not a must.

Chuuya was tired, Dazai could tell. He looked as if he was going to fall asleep at any moment and who knew how long he had stayed up to contribute to the 'manhunt for Dazai'  during his own time. He had possibly been awake for a good portion of the week, cursing Dazai out all the while.

Though now that he wasn't completely and utterly drunk off his ass, he seemed to realize that something was amiss.

"Wher're we goin'?" He asked, tone questioning but not mistrusting.

"Well, not into the crowded street-" Dazai pinched Chuuya's collar and pulled him away from the crowded street and out of the path of a car.

"M'kay."

Chuuuya's precious Ane-San hadn't been too happy to see them, her lip curling downwards once she spotted the position of vulnerability Chuuya was currently in.

It hadn't taken too long to arrive back to the agency, a shorter amount of time than it had taken to find Chuuya because a big drunk guy was no longer in his way.

The Port Mafia executive sat in the same place as last time, on the loveseat in their meeting room. The other members of the agency gave her a wide berth, occasionally casting apprehensive glances her way as if she would unsheath her sword and slice them all to ribbons.

And for Chuuya's sake, she probably would. She had possibly already threatened them before Dazai had arrived before they had even called him. Because the armed detective agency had been trying their best to prolong Chuuya's time with them and thwart the mafia's attempts to use his child self as a weapon, but now it seemed to be the time where their attempts had failed.

And Chuuya was very obviously not a child anymore. He could take care of himself easily, and that was why it would be hard to convince her to allow him to stay. It would be a hard task if not impossible, but Dazai was just as sly as she was and even if she had the edge in the argument he sensed that was on the horizon, he would try his absolute hardest to fight for Chuuya.

Something he had never done. He had never fought for anyone but himself let alone been so... set on something. So critically determined on his own point.

This would prove to be interesting.

"Dazai," she greeted, though her attention only remained on Chuuya who Dazai pulled into the room after him.

"Kouyou," he stated, dropping the formalities.

Dazai carefully maneuvered Chuuya onto the couch to avoid an accident and remained standing next to it, a hand on the back of the couch. Kouyou stiffened.

"Do explain just why the lad is intoxicated and injured. I believe I assigned you to protect him and not allow for any harm to come to him." Her words, while sounding reprimanding to anyone else, had a dangerous undertone to them that promised harm to befall anyone who disrespected her.

"Well you see, treating him with alcohol was none of our doing. He had recently just aged up to eighteen and he appeared this way. He had run off and I took the liberty of going to find him, and while the ruckus was going on you decided to make your appearance."

It was well-timed. Perhaps a bit too coincidental. The Port Mafia had people watching them the whole time and Kouyou decided to swoop in when she had the most leverage.