Chapter 1: Maddy's First Day Back

Maddy got on the school bus and waved goodbye to Leo and Elsa as she was whisked off to Tooniversity. When she was on the bus, she looked down and sighed. She missed her dad very much and thought about him everyday. Elsa would tell Maddy stories of how Barley and Elsa went on many fun quests together. Maddy smiled at the thought. She looked down on her shirt that said "Daddy's Little Quester" and held back tears. She arrived at Tooniversity and got off the bus. As she got to the school since it was her first day back, she found her dorm and her dorm mates. As she was walking to class around before classes started, she looked around and thought she would see Zeke again. But he still wasn't at Tooniversity. Some of the students were talking about the annual back to school dance coming up. Maddy sighed. She wished Zeke was with her to go to the dance since Maddy has a crush on Zeke. Suddenly, she heard a voice she recognized. "No no you can't have my lunch money!" said the voice. Maddy ran to a corner and peeked around it. She saw it was Roo who was being ganged up by some school bullies. "Come on rat! We don't have all day long!" said one of the bullies. "I already told you! I'm a kangaroo!" Roo hollered. "Shut up or I will tear the stuffing out of you!" threatened another bully. Maddy was hurt by how the bullies were ganging up on her friend she met during the major incident with her dad. She wanted to do something but she stopped and recognized one of the bullies ganging up on Roo. Could it be? Zeke? Roo looked in Zeke's direction. "Help me..." Roo whispered to Zeke. "Hey rat! Hurry it up or I will let Zeke do the work for ya," said the main bully named Boris, punching his fist. The 5 minute bell before classes started rang. Just then to Maddy's surprise, Zeke picked up Roo by the tail, spun him around by the tail, and Roo landed in the crevice of a tree branch. The money was flying out as the bullies grabbed it. Maddy grew upset and walked over. She didn't know why Zeke would change again. "How dare you!" she said as she walked over to the bullies. "Picking on a joey?! How could you?!" she said. She looked over at Zeke. Zeke smiled a bit but kept the smile to himself. "What's this? A girl defending her wittle friend?! Isn't this a show stopper!" Boris and his bully friends laughed. Zeke just chuckled as Boris punched him in the arm, still laughing. Maddy looked at Zeke with pleading eyes. "Zeke?" Maddy said quietly. Boris heard her and turned to Zeke. "Do you know this girl?" Boris asked Zeke. There was a pause. Then Zeke shook his head. "Pfft no! Never seen her before," he huffed. Maddy sighed as Boris pushed her out of the way. "See ya later princess," Boris laughed at Maddy. Zeke stopped and stared at Maddy as Boris called out Zeke's name. Zeke rubbed his shoulder and ran off. Maddy heard Roo struggle in the tree. "A little help please?" he called out. Maddy ran over and helped Roo out of the tree. "Thanks for helping me," Roo paused for a minute and noticed Maddy was the one who helped him. "Maddy!" Roo said as he gave Maddy a hug.