33. Jax Flores

Jax  P.O.V

Date: October 28, 2238

My body crumpled under the weight of my memories, sending me plummeting toward the pavement. I grimaced as my knees banged against the hard surface, interrupting my memories. The concrete dug mercilessly through the fabric of my pants, stabbing my skin. Slowly breathing in and out, I welcomed the pain with open arms as it forced me to focus on the moment.

Nova placed her hand on my shoulder, squeezing. "You don't have to tell me. It's none of my business."

"I want to," I muttered, setting my hand on hers. "He died on the day they announced the competition results."

"How did he die?"

I licked my suddenly dry lips. "We had just found out he passed the competition. And he was so excited. He even wanted to camp outside the arena until they took the list down. I-I didn't believe it. That he had managed to pass some fucked up competition and got a spot."

Even now, it still sounded like a fairytale. No, not a fairytale. Pass a competition, and you will get your basic human needs.

There had to be a catch.

Right?

"What happened next, Jax?" She softly asked, helping me off the ground.

"This guy comes out of nowhere and pushes my brother. I can't forget his fucking face. He looked worse off than we were at the time. But anyway, he starts shouting and talking crazy. So my brother pushes me back, trying to protect me. I wanted to leave and get far away from the guy, so I called my brother's name. And that's when he pulled out a gun. My brother tried to calm him down, but before he could even finish his sentence, the guy... h-h-he shot him."

"Did you know the guy?" Her brow scrunched as she looked up at me. "Or did he know your brother?"

"No, we didn't know him. I found out later that he had competed to get into Blackstone Academy and failed." I tucked my hands in my pockets and stared down at the pavement. "I-I shouldn't have called his name. I should've h-"

"Jax, this wasn't your fault. Don't blame yourself!" She grabbed my arms, forcing me to look at her. "It could have been anybody. That guy sounded like he was close to losing it."

"Yeah, but it wasn't anybody. It was my brother!" I snapped, but Nova didn't flinch at my tone. She just watched me, sympathy brimming in her eyes while I slowly calmed down.

"I'm so sorry for your loss, Jax." She gently touched my arm, the sincerity of her words choking me up. "But...why am I just hearing about this? I don't remember anyone mentioning anyone getting shot at the arena."

I slowly nodded. "That's because this good Samaritan type stepped in and wrestled the gun away from him. But then... the gun goes off again."

Her eyes widened. "He shot the guy that tried to help?!"

"No, Thank God. But he did accidentally shoot himself. The guy has the gun now, and he came over to us, a-a-and all I can do is stare up at him with tears streaming down my face. My brother is bleeding out, and I don't know what to do."

"You already told me your brother died, so the guy can't help you either? Right?"

"Yeah, but...he tried." I paused, smiling. "He and another man lifted my brother and carried him across the lot. I followed them as they placed him on the back of this old truck. Then two more men showed up carrying the guy that shot my brother, and they placed him beside my brother."

"Is the guy that shot your brother still alive?"

I shook my head no.

His death had been too swift. I couldn't admit to her I'd pounded on his corpse, willing him to continue breathing. Even though a small part of me knew something was mentally wrong with him, I still wanted him to suffer and constantly remember my brother's face.