38. Nova Rose

Nova P.O.V

Date: December 13, 2238

"Find an empty bunk, set your stuff down, then head out to the field." Sergeant Carter instructed from the middle of the large room. We were in one of the arena backrooms minutes away from the start of the competition.

It finally was time. All the long, excruciating hours of practicing boiled down to one moment, this moment. And there could be only one winner.

"If you can't find one, head across the hall to the next room, and Mrs. Steven will sort you out." He continued as everyone hurried to grab a spot. This would be our home away from home for the next three days until the final night of the competition.

Troy, Jax, Stacy, and I quickly claimed the last two bunk beds at the back of the room and began settling in.

"Hey, Roman," Maverick called from the bunk in front of ours. "Just because we're boys now doesn't mean imma take it easy on you out there."

"I didn't expect you to." Troy stopped fiddling around in his bag and turned to him with a smirk. "Cause we certainly won't be. And when we win, everyone will finally see who's faster, stronger, and overall better in every way."

Maverick crossed the room until he stood directly before Troy, their chests nearly touching. "Oh, is that right?"

"Yeah. It is."

"Boys, boys," Stacy laid a hand on each of their shoulders. "Have you forgotten that the first event is a relay race? So it won't matter how fast, strong, or whatever you are if your partner completely screws up."

"Stacy!" I hissed, eyes darting to a pale-faced Jax.

"I-I mean... of course that won't happen with our team. We'll win the whole competition. I meant the other teams." She shot a small smile in Jax's direction before turning away and lightly slapping her mouth.

But the damage had already been done. Jax turned and paced between our two bunks.

"I'm sorry." Stacy mouthed to Troy before he followed Jax.

I sighed, pushing my hands through my hair, and dropped onto the lower bunk. Troy would hopefully calm him.

"Did I tell you what happened when Troy thought you were hurt?" Stacy whispered, sitting down beside me.

I stared at her in silence, caught slightly off guard by the sudden change in topic.

"Well, did I?" She asked when my silence dragged on.

"Only a dozen or so times." I finally answered with a roll of my eyes. "And I still don't believe you."

"Nova, I'm telling you, when Maverick told Troy you were in the infirmary, the boy was furious. No, I'm sorry the man was furious thinking that you were injured. His veins were throbbing, and his muscles popping. He looked like he wanted to kill anybody that got in his way just to get to you." She fanned her face as her cheeks flushed red.

"You're crazy. And you weren't angry when Maverick said I was in the infirmary?"

"Yeah, I was angry. But Nova, this was different. I love you like a sister, but Troy is definitely not thinking about you in a sisterly way."

Before I could reply, Jax dashed past us to the door. Troy muttered a curse under his breath before following after him.

"What just happened?" Stacy mused aloud.

"I don't know. But I'm going to find out." I rose to my feet and hurried to the door.

Reaching the hallway, I glimpsed Troy at the restroom entrance before he disappeared inside. I rushed after him, my concern for Jax overriding my slight hesitancy at entering the men's room.