40. Nova Rose

Nova P.O.V

Date: December 15, 2238

"Guys, this is Amber." Jax introduced us to a dark-haired beauty with flawless brown skin, high cheekbones, and naturally full lips that most women envied. She stood at least 5'10 with a glorious mane of curls surrounding her heart-shaped face. The black sweatsuit and sneakers she wore were simple, but somehow, the outfit appeared more trendy and stylish on her than if worn by a shorter person.

"And, Amber, this is everyone. Well, almost everyone. Maverick should be here in a bit." Jax continued.

"It's lovely to meet all of you. Finally." She playfully rolled her eyes, all the while smiling. "But is there a reason for this sudden late-night visit?"

"Well, uh..." Jax scratched the back of his neck, eyes cast downward. "It's like this. We need your help."

"My help with what exactly?"

"We want to go and search for the missing students."

Amber's eyes widened behind her square frames. "Have you lost your mind?! Why?"

"One of the missing students is Maverick's cousin, and we want to help him find her."

"Oh god..." she breathed out, hand on her forehead as she moved a little ways away before returning. "Okay, let's forget for a moment why you want to go out and explain to me how you thought I could possibly help you with this?"

"You?" Jax parroted, tongue in his cheek as he looked off in the distance.

"Yes, me."

"Well, uh..." he scratched his neck again. "I thought you could help us with transport. You know a way to get out of the school, go there, and come back all without anyone seeing us."

She released a long and deep sigh before muttering to herself. "I know I'm going to regret asking this, but... where and how far are you going?"

"Near the arena. Can I use your computer to pull it up?"

"Sure. Go right ahead." Amber waved us forward, leading us deeper into the dimly lit basement to an L-shaped desk in the middle of the room.

Jax plopped down in the chair and began typing. His hands flew across the keyboard until the camera footage of a warehouse surrounded by trees popped up on the screen.

"Here," Jax said, zooming in on the image. "To this warehouse inside the woods. We can get them close to the warehouse, but it looks like you guys will have to go on foot the rest of the way. I thought they could use the t-"

"Jax, I can't let you steal the train." Amber bluntly told him.

Train? My eyebrows shot up as I waited for Jax and Amber to explain. When they didn't, I glanced at Stacy and Troy and saw both of their brows furrowed in confusion.

"We won't steal it. We'll borrow it." Jax amended, swiveling from side to side in the chair.

Amber narrowed her eyes at him. "Well, I can't let you "borrow" it either." She raised her hands, making air quotations with her fingers.

"No one will know. We'll just take it for an hour or two and return it later."

"No one will know?!" Amber repeated, putting her hands on her hips. "It's a train, Jax. Do you have an invisible cloak or something that will stop people from seeing it?"

"No, I don't," Jax grumbled, pouting. "But this is how you can help us."

Amber released an exasperated breath as she glanced up at the ceiling before looking back at him. "That may be, but you still can't use the train. But... I may have something else you guys can use."