Cardin

-Y/n's POV, Time Skip-

I watched from the stands as Jaune and Cardin duked it out in the mock battle. We were in Glynda's class, learning about how to fight other people for the upcoming Vytal Festival. I was sitting between my team and team JNPR. I was able to snag a bag of popcorn before coming into class, so I've been eating that while I've been watching them fight. Yang asked if she could have some, so I just let her have the rest of the bag. Jaune was not winning at all, though he stood his ground the best he could. He was tired and definitely drained while Cardin acted like the fight was a walk in the park. I felt bad for the dude. Cardin gave a chuckle before Jaune ran at him with an attack. He parried it and smacked him to the side. Jaune got back up and went for an obvious overhead strike, which Cardin blocked, pushing the swordsman backwards. He then kneed Jaune in the gut and the boy fell over. Cardin held his weapon high in the air, about to finish the blonde off before a buzzer sounded and Glynda spoke up.

"That's enough!" She said to the both of them. Everyone in the stands clapped while Cardin lowered his weapon, stepping aside. "Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-styled duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match."

I looked over at his team and saw that they were sad, especially Pyrrha.

"Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your Aura will help you decide when it's appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now, would we?"

"Speak for yourself." Cardin scoffed and walked away. I wanted to take back what I said about him and his team at the ceremony after the initiation, they are not cool whatsoever. I could tell he was going to be the typical bully of this school. Y'know, trying to be the boss of everyone, trying to be the most popular, thinks he's the coolest, thinks he's tough shit; Yeah, that type. I felt a bad vibe from him. I decided to let it go for the time being as Glynda began speaking again.

"Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!" She said as we all started cheering, getting pumped for the festival. The bell rang and everyone left to go to lunch. Leaving the arena, my mind was left with one thing to think about: Cardin is an asshole.

...

...

...

"So, there we were.. in the middle of the night.." Nora started her eerie story as everyone listened. I kept eating my food, which was great by the way.

"It was day." Ren corrected the hyperactive girl.

"We were surrounded by Ursai...."

"They were Beowolves."

"Dozens of them!!!" She screamed as she stood at the table. Jaune was picking at his food, not wanting to eat anything.

"Two of 'em."

"But they were no match... And in the end, Ren and I took them down and made a boatload of Lien selling Ursa skin rugs!" She sat back down with a happy grin.

"She's been having this recurring dream for nearly a month now." Ren sighed.

"Some dream." I said.

"Jaune, are you okay?" Pyrrha looked over too him in question and concern. He then perked up and looked back at her.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Why?"