Chapter 38: Deception

Xeno’s POV

I cleared my throat and loosened my necktie seconds after getting inside the car. It was my first meeting with the representatives of the committee regarding the pending bill that the house of congress is trying to impede. Father let me join the convention as his spokesman because, as he said, this will be my training on dealing with these people. Of course, this is to benefit his goal in making me the next president of Huxley. Now that I already graduated from University they want me to start off in the dynasty by being the chairman of the lower messier.

I've known since I was a child how much my family values power and wealth; my great grandfather was the forefather in our line. Since the first Piercer president was well-liked by his constituents, when he died of old age, my grandfather took over. I was a young boy at the time when I discovered that my future had already been plotted by the elderly before I was born. While I don't particularly relish the prospect of being the next president of Huxley, I also don't despise it.

Given that the meeting was held at Messier 15, I requested a bottle of water because it would be a long journey. When looking out the window of the moving vehicle, I found how different Messier 1 is from the other Messiers during martial law. Unlike other Messiers, who have strict protocol at checkpoints and are barred from using the internet, all is usual in this part of the country. Because of the vast contrast from Huxley's opposite hand, it's as though I'm visiting another nation.

“Where has my father gone?” I inquired of the attendant who had opened the car door for me.

I've just returned home from the convention after a long day. I need to check with my father to see if my decision from the meeting a while ago is acceptable to him. Of course, I believe I did a good job commanding and achieving our target, but I'd like to hear his thoughts. The bill aimed to lower the age requirement for presidential candidacy. I think I know the reason my father is pushing the bill right now. I've noticed his abrupt weight loss and the massive amount of medications he's been taking in the last few days that I've been staying here in the mansion. I haven't asked him about his health status yet, but I'm certain there's something wrong.

“On the lower level, sir, talking to the prisoners,” replied the attendant.

I handed him my coat and began walking towards the lower level. Despite my efforts to stop visiting my friends who are now being kept hostage down stairs, I still want to catch a glimpse of her. Knowing what I've done,  I know she feels betrayed and disappointed. She must be loathing me right now. I can't blame her for feeling that way; after all, I know I deserve it.

When I got to the front door, I stopped walking. While relaxing myself to appear unaffected when I face her, I overheard a conversation.

“Tell me, where did your father hide it.”

That was my father’s voice. Who is he talking to?

“Speak now, woman. You don’t want your friends and family to get hurt do you?”

“Damn you!! Don’t you dare lay your hands on them! I will not let you do the same thing again! I will not let you!”

Rei? What are they talking about? I was about to open the door but I halted when my father spoke again.

“Then tell me where it is! Where’s the evidence!”

“I told you I don’t know! And even if I do, there is no way in hell I’d tell you. That evidence will wake up the citizens of Huxley and the rest of the world. It will remove your mask and will let everyone see how evil you are—AARGH!”

When I heard Rei's agonizing cries, I clenched my fists to keep myself from opening the door. I'm not sure what my father is doing to her or what he's so eagerly demanding of her, but I can't help but be angry at him for hurting her.