Chapter 27: Escape

Blaze’s POV

"What do you mean she's—"

I immediately ran outside our unit,  leaving Xeno, and looked for her in the lobby. But she’s nowhere to be seen, so I contacted Milly and asked if she knew where Shannon is right now.

“Hello Zac—” 

“Where is Shannon? Did she say something to you?” I ask, cutting her off, as she answered my call.

“Uh, Shannon? Wait, calm down! Is she not in your unit? Why are you asking me, Zac? You are his house mate,” she said in a puzzled tone.

Fuck. Don’t tell me she really did what I was thinking.

“Hello, Zac? Is there something wrong? You are freaking me out here!” 

“I’ll contact you later.” 

"What? No! What is—" I didn't waste any second and ended the call.

If my hunch is right, then maybe she surrendered herself and that is why the news report that I heard is celebrating right now. 

I grip my hair and let myself yell my frustration. She know that surrendering herself to the Gereon government is a suicide move. Is she even thinking properly now? How can she decide such an impetuous move? Is she trying to be heroic or what?

“Argh! What are you thinking, Shannon? You are driving me crazy,” I muttered a curse.

No one knows aside from me that she is the real Alice, and that is why no one will understand why I am getting agitated here. I close my eyes and take a deep breath to calm myself. I can’t formulate a plan to get her out, wherever the prison they locked her in is.

I decided to head back inside our place and cool myself down. 

"What the hell is happening, Zac?! What does that note mean?" Xeno frantically asks me the moment I set my foot inside. Instead of answering him, I sat on the couch and massaged the temple of my head.

I’ve been contemplating if I should execute this idea that I have or just think of another, but I know I can’t do this alone. I have to ask for their help, but in order to do that, I have to tell them the truth. 

"Is the message inside the note true? Is Rei really Alice?" I felt Xeno sat beside me. I lifted up my head and found him staring at the note that I was holding earlier.

There's no reason to lie to him, he already read the note. "Yeah," I said. 

After minutes of thinking, I have finally decided what to do. I am sorry, Shannon, but I think they need to know who is the real Alice. If you are going to hate me for doing this, then I’ll accept that.

"Call the squad, Xeno," I say as I look at him. His face is blank but his eyes look so serious.

I know we've been thinking the same thing. And that is to save Shannon from the hell she entered. 

--

“She’s who?! Come again, Zac?! Are you for real bro?” Wyn says.

I nodded and looked carefully at their reactions. They seem shocked by what I had said, but Wyn is so dramatic, while the rest of us are looking so serious.

“So what is our plan, Zac?” Van asks.

“According to the news, Shannon will be locked up for five days inside the parliament building exclusive prison room before the Gereon government gets her and brings her to their country.”

They all look at me seriously, waiting for all the things I have to say. Last night I did my best to find all the necessary information for our mission. I didn’t even get any proper sleep just to plan this out. While Xeno immediately headed out after the squad arrived and up until now, he's nowhere to be found.

“Her first day was yesterday, and with that, we are left with three days to save her,” I continued.

“But what if the Gereon government arrived earlier than the expected date? That’s highly possible since they looked so eager to get her,” Van says.

“Yes, I already anticipated those things. So I hacked the official system of the parliament building. I saw that the representative of that country gave notice that they will arrive on Friday, giving us a one whole day to do this. We have no room for even a single mistake, Shannon’s life will depend on this.” I said.

“You did what, bro? You hacked the official system of parliament building overnight? Wow. Love can truly make you do the impossible,” Wyn comments.

Van smiles because of what he said, but I remain serious. I don’t want to think about that thing for now. I am already nervous for this mission and I don’t want to add more problems.

“But it’s not enough to get her out of the prison cell, we have to find someone who will be in her place,” I said.

They all look so shocked with what I had said. I know that this is wrong, using someone who’s innocent just to save someone. And I know that Shannon will not like my idea of saving her, but I have no choice here. If I have to break my philosophy and be selfish and immoral, shame on me, but I will still do it for Shannon.

“You are going to use someone as an exchange? Can you hear yourself, Zac?” Neron says.

I sigh and bow my head. They are probably disappointed in me, just like how I am feeling towards myself. I feel bad for letting them down, but whenever I think of the possibilities Shannon is facing and experiencing right now, my rationality fades out.

“Where… I mean, who are we going to exchange for her?” Van carefully asks.

“That’s the problem. I don’t know who.”

They all sigh in unison as silence envelops us. I look at them and try to read what’s on their mind. I will understand if you don't agree on helping me, I already expected a negative response, but I will be really grateful if they will help or just at least understand. Their support is a big contribution for my strength, but I won’t depend on it.

Shannon’s POV

It’s been two days since I surrendered myself here in parliament building. If I have to give up my life just to make my family be in a comfortable place, then I am very willing to sacrifice everything.

I stare at the bare wall of the room where they locked me in. I am in the exclusive prison cell of this building in the basement area. This room is not pleasant considering that this is an exclusive prison cell. It’s not that I am expecting a lavish place, but I think Huxley National Jail has a far better prison room than this.

The room is dark and I have only a ventilation fan on the upper middle part of the room. I lost track of time ever since I arrived here. The only sign that the day is ending is the light coming from the small hole of ventilation.

I stand up and stretch my body for a bit. I only have a single chair in this wide room. Even though I want to sit on the floor, it is so dirty and full of dust.

My eyes shifted to the steel door as someone opened it slowly.

“Hey! Here’s your food!” The servant placed the tray on the floor then left. I waited for them to close the door first before I reached for the tray.

“Don’t they have a budget for my meal at least?” I whisper. I took the porridge and ate it slowly.

From what I heard from the prison guards, the Gereon representative will arrive on the fourth day to get me. I don’t want to think what fate is waiting for me once they get me, I am just too tired to think about anything and too numb to feel anything right now.

I look at the sun setting on the small hall. My second day here is about to end. I wonder what my family is doing right now. I hope papa’s rashes have healed already, and that my sister is just happily drawing in her room.

Then he suddenly crossed my mind. I feel a bitter feeling when I remember his face. Did he read my note? What is he doing right now? This porridge is so bland that it makes me miss his cooking. Oh God, I’m missing him badly.

I let my tears fall freely on my cheek. I haven’t even clarified to myself what I am feeling towards him, but here I am right now in prison. I’m on the verge of death again.