Chapter 21: Doubt

Shannon's POV

I'm lost in my reverie and my senses only come back when I feel someone forcefully pull me while covering my mouth. I can't see my assailant because of our position, but I know that he's bigger and stronger than me.

He drags me inside the abandoned building while I conserve my remaining energy to break free when I find the chance.

"Uhmph!" I tried to kick him and escape from his strong grip, but immediately halted when I heard something.

"Check this place! She might be hiding here!"

Wait... If those are the cops who are looking after me, then who is this?!

After a minute of being silent, I slowly look at my captor's face.

"X-Xeno?!" I blurt out in surprise.

"Shh! They're still there," he whispers cautiously.

He's busy peeking from the small hole to check if the authorities aren't in the area anymore, while I'm here, shockingly staring at him.

"Why are you here? You're not supposed to be here," I say. He shouldn't be here, he's supposed to be hacking the security cameras so no one can see me while I try to make a run for it.

Once he confirms that it's all clear, he glances at me and lets out an exasperated sigh. He's wearing a fitted black shirt and a leather jacket. He also has his jet black hair pushed back. His set of deep, tantalizing, blue eyes are carefully watching me.

"I lost our main connection while the plan's on the move, but I heard your call for Baldwyn while running. I thought they were coming after you, so I tracked your location," he explains with worry.

I simply nod as he tells me about it. Still, I can't accept the fact that I blew my very first mission. It should've been easy, taking some pictures and blending in with the crowd, acting like a party goer elite, but we miserably lost it. We almost got caught!

"How did they find out about us?" I whisper to myself.

We get out from our hiding space. I reluctantly follow Xeno as he walks towards his motorcycle, just parked nearby. When he stops to remove the stand of his motorcycle, he tosses me a helmet that, much to my surprise, I reflexively caught.

"C'mon, we have to head back to Velican now," Xeno calls for me.

I hesitantly ride on the back of his motorcycle. Out of Zac's friends, Xeno's the one I'm least close with. It's not because of his intimidating demeanor, but because he rarely talks to me unlike the cheerful Baldwyn and the kind Donovan. But since I'm left with no choice, I still did.

"Are they on the way too?" I ask him.

We're now passing by the long village of lower messier. Xeno's seriously looking in front while driving fast. Ever since being a secret member of the Paradigm, I actually got used to riding motorcycles now.

At first, I thought Conrad's not gonna agree with the idea of me helping them. I also thought that they'd make me shut up since I found out their secret. But surprisingly, Conrad agreed immediately.

The boys are taken aback as well, since they saw someone else during their meeting on that eventful night, but they actually showed their support when I offered to be their spy. Baldwyn's enthusiasm about being a part of their secret made him throw a party to welcome me as a part of the Society.

They turned our house into their new hub ever since. They always visit us and hangout in our house whenever they have time. They're really fun to be with, that sometimes I actually forget that they're elites. Honestly, they don't seem like it.