Chapter 19: Division

Blaze’s POV 

I’m at the balcony watching the beautiful sunrise, with a cup of coffee that Shannon brewed earlier in my hand. She woke me up earlier just to say goodbye. The university gave us a week’s worth of semestral break after we finished our last examination, so she is off to visit her family in M69. She also seems to be taking a break from her blog since it’s still deactivated. Although the issue on the Oasis subsided a bit, few people are still curious to know Alice’s identity.

“I guess I have to enjoy some time alone,” I whisper to myself. It's not that I can't live alone, it's just that I'm kinda getting used to her being around here. 

Sitting on the ascot rattan chair, I take a sip of my brewed coffee. Eating breakfast became a routine for me since I started living here, but since I’m alone right now, I think coffee’s enough. Getting used to eating with someone makes eating alone unappetizing anyways.

Now, I’m taking my time on developing a new system that blocks any modified chip system from the new CDRID scanners. I’m done with the mission from the Society already, so I’m free to use my spare time in any way, and I’d rather spend it on productive tasks.

I didn’t notice the time, I’m too immersed with the task at hand. This is actually harder than I thought it would be.

It’s already late in the afternoon when I heard the unit’s alarm. I reach for my cell to check who’s outside. The moment I see Van, I immediately click the accept button and let him enter the house. Since I’m living in a penthouse, and the only access to it would be an elevator, we installed a surveillance camera and security access as well, so if someone unauthorized enters the private elevator, they will be stopped by the security access.

“Bro! Where’s Shannon?” he greets as he steps inside.

I’m by the lounge while my gadgets are scattered along the coffee table. I’ve been working inside my chamber for the past few weeks, and I think it’s about time for me to have a much comfortable workplace. Since I’m gonna have the whole house to myself as Shannon’s gonna be away for days, might as well expand my workspace.

“Is she the reason why you crashed in here?” my brows furrow, much to my displeasure.

He’s been visiting me a lot lately and I am close in believing that he likes my housemate. Because if it’s not for Rei, then why is he bothering on coming here?

How could I not? He keeps visiting me more than often, and I’m slowly getting confident about the fact that he likes my flatmate. Let's be honest, if it ain’t for Shannon, why would he be here in the first place?

“Relax, man. Am I not even allowed to joke around?” he laughs at me.

“She’s not here for a week. She’s visiting her family,” I inform him.

Van just makes himself feel at home and I just let him, I’m quite busy with my project anyways.

“I am already done with the last mission. You?” Van asks while still looking at the newly-hanged paintings. Those are Shannon’s works. She's really talented in her craft, and her works are done with expertise. She’s good at expressing her soul with art, her drawings can transcribe different emotions and essence. 

“Yeah, done,” I answer, but not looking away from my working tablet and laptop.

“Then what are you doing?” he adds.

“New project,” I sparingly replied.

He then proceeds to approach me and look at my screen. It took him a couple of minutes before realizing what I’m working on, a new software.