Chapter 20: Confidential

Shannon’s POV

I arrive at M69 before the sun completely bathes the surroundings with its warm glow. I specifically took the earliest bus departure so that I can arrive at home early. I promised Kitkat that we would make pancakes for our breakfast today. That's why I need to leave M58 promptly.

After getting out of the bus, I walk my way to the line of cab services to rent one. As usual, I didn’t bring too much clothing today even though I will be staying in our family home for a week this time. I just have my skincare essentials and my sketchbook with me. 

I haven’t re-activated my blog account, but I’m thinking of opening it after the semestral break when the issue about my lost illustration fades away from the internet and from the minds of its people.

I have seen a lot of posts on the Oasis about the incoming biggest party for the elites this upcoming Friday. I’m waiting for that party since I know for sure, it will be the talk of the town. I don’t usually get myself updated with fancy schedules of the higher class, but I guess that kind of festivity will help me distract other people from digging about Alice's real face.

“Thank you.” I paid for the cab driver after it drove me to our humble street. It’s been a week since I last visited but our neighbors are still not used to seeing me again in our village. They kept on greeting me while I was walking towards our house.

“You visited again?” Mrs. Tania asks me with a soft smile adorning her face.

“Yes Auntie, for a week!” I reply enthusiastically.

The village is busy right now, doing their early work chores on the farm. I already told Mama and Papa about my visit and that’s why they are already expecting me.

“Edrei! Your parents are on the farm right now! Do you want a ride along with me?” Mr. Joe stops his electric utility vehicle to ask me. The technologies on M69 aren't as advanced as those in higher messier's but people are used to working with what they have.

“Sure, Mr. Joe!” I say in response.

I immediately get inside his mini truck to get myself comfortable while crossing the long hectares of greenland. We pass by a lot of people picking up some fresh ripe fruits. This is the month of harvest, and that’s why my vacation has great timing. Fresh food is the best!

“I saw them in the indoor plantation. Maybe they’ll harvest some strawberries,” Mr. Joe adds.

“Cath and I are planning to bake a sweet strawberry cake later, maybe that’s why.” 

Not long after, we reached the entrance of the indoor plantation. I get off the truck and bid my goodbye to Mr. Joe who’s continuing his drive to the other side of the plantation.

“Thanks, sir!” I say, showing my gratitude.

He waves his hands before starting his engine again. While I walk inside the indoor plantation to find where my parents are.

I see them picking some strawberries while laughing with Aunt Rita, who owns the opposite layer of the plantation. I close the distance between them before saying my greetings.

“Hello, Edrei! You’re early this time,” Aunt Rita comments.

“Yes, Aunt, we have lots of plans for this day.” I reply.

She nods then smiles at me. Aunt Rita didn’t take too much time, after gathering what she needed, she chats for a little and then she leaves. So I was left with Mama and Papa, who I think got enough of strawberries that we need for today.

“You shouldn’t have followed us here, we were already done,” Mama says.

I get the basket full of strawberries from her hand so that I can carry it. The strawberries are so mouthwatering, I can’t help but pick one and eat it directly.