Chapter 40: Second Chance

Shannon’s POV

“I heard that the International Assembly Convention will be hosted by Huxley to celebrate the passing of a new bill in Congress. If I am not mistaken, that is later this day,” Van informed.

“The government will use almost all of the country’s security to protect the leaders of different countries that will visit Huxley. It will be our greatest opportunity to escape,” Blaze added.

We nodded in agreement. It’s been two weeks since I’ve been imprisoned here and after ten days Blaze joined us too. He was caught while finding a way out to save us. According to him, he definitely saw Wyn while he was being arrested.Thankfully, Wyn was not caught along with him and might be still outside, and maybe thinking of ways to help us.

We’ve been planning on how to execute our escape for days now. The day he was captured, Blaze heard that the assembly will also double as a celebration that will mark the day that martial law will end.

Fortunately, after Arvin Piercer separated me from my friends to interrogate me, they brought me back to the same room. He didn’t visit me again although he said he will come back in three days to pry the location of the evidence out of me. His silence terrifies me, but Blaze reasoned out that Arvin might have just forgotten about me due to his busy schedule.

I always wonder how Mama, Papa, and Catherine are doing right now. News about them doesn't reach me since our actions are limited and being monitored. I just hope that they are alright and in a safe place right now.

The thought of my fake grave also crosses my mind constantly. I was on the verge of getting hold of the answer I’ve been wanting to know, then this suddenly happened.

For the past few days I’ve also asked myself if I can really trust Xeno again. Although I told him that no such thing will occur, deep inside I still wanted to give him a chance. After all, he’s my first best friend, my childhood best friend, and if it’s really true that he has no idea about my true identity and what happened to me then I guess there might be a chance once he finds out. But ever since that day, he never came back to visit me again. 

Part of me is waiting for him so I can tell him the truth. I want to see how he will react. If I ever tell him the real story, will he believe me? However, I don’t want to feel another betrayal and disappointment from him again, so I think it’s better that he doesn't drop by.

We prepared all the things we might need. We managed to hide a knife from the kitchenware that they gave us for our dine. Blaze had also successfully hidden a butterfly knife in his pants when they caught him. In total, we have three weapons in our disposal.

“Two hours before the convention starts. They are now preparing for the arrival of the guests,” Neron informed.

He managed to implant a bug device to one of the soldiers that brought them here. He is now using his in-ear device to listen to any updates outside our prison room.

 “Where is he now, Conrad? This should be the time,” Van asked

Conrad silently looked at his wristwatch. Not long after, the door opened.

“There he is,” Conrad answered.

Conrad found a mole on the security team that was placed to guard us. According to him, this was his former student and a person we can trust. Conrad relayed our plan to him. We have no choice but to believe him and have faith.

“That might work, sir. The next alley will not have a lot of security because of the assembly so there would only be at least five men guarding on that post,” the mole said.