Chapter 30: Surprise

Blaze’s POV

I look at my phone one last time before drinking my beer. The relaxing melody of the music, the dim lights, and the smell of different beverages linger around the place. I'm with Donovan right now to congratulate our childhood friend who opened a pub in M56. The drinks are free and it’ll give me time to chill and relax, so I agreed on visiting here. After all, it’s been a while since we boozed up aside from my unit or the hub.

“The interior is good and the drinks are fire! Not bad,” Van complimented. He sat at the bar stool next to mine and sipped on his rum. I didn’t give him a glance, but I saw in my peripheral vision that he was looking at me. He carefully placed down his glass and spun his chair to give me his full attention. “Are you going? Have you decided?"

I sigh before shaking my head. “I don’t know, I don’t trust any of them,” I said.

Yesterday my dad sent me a message in email asking me to go home to our mansion. By the looks of it, it seems like the old Corbyn is going to offer me an agreement because of what happened last dinner party. I am not sure yet if they are really considering my opinion now or this is just a scheme to bait me. However, I know for a fact that avoiding them is not a realistic plan I can ever choose. It’s not that I miss them or that I suddenly realized the hardship of being someone without a silver spoon on his mouth, but because at the end of the day, they’ll still find me. Although I am not afraid when that happens, I still want to give them a chance.

“They already appointed someone to become the CEO of Le Cherir, so I think they are really serious about this. You should give them a chance,” Van suggests.

“They did? Since when?” I curiously look at him.

“Last month? You don’t know, bro? It’s been the headline on social media that time.”

“I muted any news related to them,” I answered. Maybe Van is right, maybe I should hear them out before completely ignoring them.

“That can also help, don’t you think? I mean, for the charity ball.”

I nodded, thinking of the same benefit from visiting the mansion. We all received the news about the charity ball that will be held on upper messier, to which we can’t easily access. We have an idea that the event will help us find some clues for Paradigm’s goal, so I will be needing my family’s power to become invited to the party. If that’s the case, then I should go and make a deal with the old Corbyn as soon as possible.

Finally, I am receiving positive news now. I am so tired of the same bad news for the past few weeks. But the thing is, Shannon and I are still not on good terms and that is my biggest problem.

“You look so stressed even with the good news. Is it because of Rei?”

“I want to fix this, Van, but I can’t even talk to her. Should I just forget everything and ignore her just like what she’s doing to me?” I glance at my friend who looks so worried for my sake.

“Someone fell hard this time. Damn,” he commented before sipping.

I chuckled because of his remark. Did I? Well, I think I really did. Because if this is just some shallow feelings, then I wouldn’t care as much as I am doing right now. To be honest, I can’t even hate nor be annoyed by her petty acts towards me. I just... miss her.

Who would have thought that she’ll be the one who will introduce me to this foreign feeling? And it happened so fast! We’ve just known each other for four months. Am I for real?

“But seriously, have you exerted any effort in asking for her forgiveness? Are you sure you tried enough?”

“I tried, okay? I cooked her food, constantly sending her a message, and even asking for help from Milly. It’s just that, she’s not giving me any chance here,” I said defeatedly.