Chapter 5

(Dipper pov)

I sit in the library during my free period just reading but I have a hard time focusing on the words in the book. It's been a few days since I made it into Bill's band and rehersals have been at his house every day after school. Every time I'm around him I feel my heart skip a beat and my face get heated. Could I be falling for him? I groan setting my book down running my hands over my face and setting my glasses on the table in front of me. "No no no, you can't be falling for a guy. Not only would it make things awkward with us being close friends, but you just can't. You've worked too hard to do everything mom wants, getting into a relationship with a guy is too big of a risk." I mumble to myself. My mom isn't homophobic, no one in my family is except maybe Mabel, but as her only son she expects me to carry the family name by marrying a girl and having kids to give my last name to. She would kill me if I even tried expressing that I'm not sure if I'm even into girls.

"Dipper!" I jump a bit in surprise as I put my glasses on and look over seeing Bill coming over to me, the librarian giving him a glare for shouting in the library.

"Oh, hey Bill. What's up?"

"You gotta see this, come on." He grabs my wrist pulling me out to the hallways.

"Where exactly are you taking me? What's going on?"

"You'll see." He drags me to the bulletin board outise the principal's office and shows me the sign up sheets for different things like fundraisers and after school clubs. "Check it out." He points to one and I see it's a sign up sheet for the talent show next week.

"So what? It's just the stupid talent show. None of the people who sign up every have any good talent."

"Read the names of the people who signed up."

"Why?"

"Just humor me dude."

Rolling my eyes slightly I read down the names of people until I get to the bottom and my eyes widen slightly. "No no no." I look at Bill seeing him smirking. "Come on man, please don't make me do this." I look at the sheet again, right at the bottom he signed both my name and his name.

"It'll be fun. You've never performed in front of everyone so this is a good way to do that before battle of the bands."

"But I'm not even a good singer."

"Now that is fucking bullshit. You are an amazing singer. Besides I'll be there next to you the whole time." I groan not liking this at all. "Now come on, we have music appreciation class now." Music appreciation was one of the few classes that me and Bill had together. He drags me to the music room and we sit in the only open seats left, which means we're right in the front of the room. I see Mabel texting on her phone despite the strict no phone rule in this class.

"Alright all phones are to be put away." Mr. Smith says. He waits until everyone puts their phones before continuing. "Today I wanted to talk about how certain emotions can be put into how you sing a piece of music. Would anyone like to demonstrate." Bill grabs my wrist and raises both  of our hands. "Terrific, Bill and Dipper come up here and show us what you got."

Bill drags me to the piano as he sits down in the piano seat. "Bill, I can't do this."

"Yes you can, and you know this song." He whispers the song in my ear. "You ready?"

Taking a deep breath in and out I give him a nod yes and he starts playing. I try to only focus on him and not everyone else's eyes on me.
"Straight hair, straight A's, straightforward
Straight path
I don't cut corners
I make a point to be on time
Head of the student council