Chapter 8

(Dipper pov)

I scream and throw my arms up to shield myself as the car comes right for me. When I don't feel the impact I slowly lower my arms and see the car stopped within an inch of me. I wipe my sleeve over my glasses trying to wipe off the rain water as I hear a voice I didn't expect. "Dipper?"

I look up and see Bill standing there in his yellow hoodie holding a black umbrella to protect himself from the rain. Upon a closer look at the car I realize that it's Bill's car. Bill comes over to me so his umbrella keeps us both dry from the rain. "Bill? W-What are you doing here?"

"You mean besides nearly hitting you with my car?" He pulls a phone and earbuds out of my pocket and I realize that it's mine. "You left this in my garage. I knew you lived around here so I figured I would just drive around here until I could figure out which house was yours. Didn't want you to think it got stolen or-h-hey what happened to your cheek there?" He holds my chin softly and turns my head so he can look at what I'm guessing is the red mark on my cheek from getting slapped. "Did...did someone hit you?"

"It's n-nothing...."

"This isn't nothing, Dipper. Tell me who did this. Was it one of those assholes from school?"

"No it wasn't."

"Then who was it? Tell me and I'll make sure they pay."

"It was no one! Just drop it!" I push him away feeling tears coming down my cheeks again.

"Dipper...."

"J-Just....drop it...and drop me...I'm out of the band."

"What? You can't just quit, you have excellent talent. You can't let that go to waste."

"I can and I am. You don't understand my life, you don't get it. M-My mom will hate me as long as I keep trying to have anything to do with music a-and she......I don't even have a guitar anymore......just let me go...." I look down feeling the hot tears run down my face.

I feel him pull me into a warm embrace, my face pressed up against his chest as he wraps his arms around me. "Look, we'll talk about this more later. For now let's get you out of the rain. Would you like to come to my place for the night?" I weakly nod my head as he helps me into the passenger seat of his car. I rest my head on the window as he gets in the driver's seat and drives out of there. I take my glasses off and rub my eyes trying to get rid of the tears. "We don't have to talk, just know you can if you want to."

"......she wanted me at this dinner with her and her boss and I had forgot about it. She wasn't very happy with me."

"Surly she would understand? I mean it was an accident, you didn't mean to forget."

"You don't know my mother. The slightest things tick her off. Things like me not wearing my glasses, people calling me Dipper, the way I talk."

"What's wrong with how you talk?"

"When I get confronted by my mother, I get shy and tend to mumble. I got home and tried to just sneak upstairs but she wouldn't let me, wanted to make a big deal that I was late. When I did get to my room I was working on a new song when she stormed in and saw the guitar. She didn't know I had it, she hates everything to do with music."

"I thought she knew about you being in the band?"

"No, my dad knew but he and I were hiding it from her. She doesn't think anyone can make a career of music and considers it a huge waste of time."

"But that isn't true at all."

"I know but I can't explain that to her, she won't listen. She took my guitar as I tried explaining it to her but she just destroyed my guitar and....I called her a bitch and she...."