Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Fern sat on her bed, the tears flowing fast and hot down her face. She played nervously with her hands as she repeated the previous events over and over again in her head. Fern heard the door click open as she took a quick intake of her breath and let her hands fall limply to her sides. Fern watched in horror as Aden walked in with his goofy grin spread happily over his face. As soon as he walked in, the smile quickly diminished as a concerned look overtook his emotions. Fern cried harder as Aden looked over Fern's face before walking over trying to engulf her into a hug. Fern jumped as she scooted away to the far side of the bed, crossing her arms over her chest. Aden's eyes showed hurt and surprise as his arms fell numbly to his sides, a forced smile taking over his face.

“Hey Bud, it will be okay. Your dad will be home before you know it.” Aden cooed as he tried to brush the hair away from Fern's face. Fern flinched away the tears now blurring her vision. This couldn't be happening. Aden pouted slightly before continuing, “I have something planned for us today.” He choked, standing up and holding out his hand to help her up. Fern shook her head furiously as she shrunk into the corner of her room.

“I don't want to go.” Fern lied her voice shaky and weak. Aden flinched as he glanced over, fresh tears glistening in his eyes. This was not what she wanted, she had no intent of hurting Aden, this was going all wrong. Fern sucked in a breath, helplessly wiping away the tears that were falling silently down her cheeks. Aden bent down in front of Fern, his expression confused and helpless as he tried his best to comfort her, not knowing that he was actually hurting her.

“Please Fern.” Aden pleaded a single tear falling down his face, his eyes starting to turn a light pink. Fern felt her heart shattering as she realized the pain she was giving him, but what would Bridget say to him? Would it hurt him even worse? Fern brought up a shaky hand and wiped away the tear from his face, his eyes clouded and conflicted. Fern knew that he knew there was something else, but he wasn't one to pry. He never was. Aden let out a tiny sob as Fern gave him an emotionless stare. He stood up and started to walk out but just as one foot was out the door, Fern couldn't take it. She couldn't leave him like this. That was heartless and cruel, and those were two things she wasn't.

“Wait! I'll go.” Fern whispered, her shoulders slumping in defeat. Aden stood up straighter as he quickly walked over to Fern, his smile warm but his eyes were still puffy. Fern smiled weakly back up at him, she would rather have this one last moment with him be a happy one. Aden convinced Fern to wear a blindfold as he led her outside, the cold instantly causing her to shiver. Aden wrapped his arms around Fern as she flinched. Aden walked a little bit farther before pulling the blindfold from her face. Fern blinked a couple of times as her eyes adjusted to the light. Fern realized they were in the middle of a forest. She turned to Aden, a confused look on her face as he shrugged in reply.

“I decided to take off your blindfold because the trail gets harder from here.” Was all he said as they continued their walk deeper into the forest. Soon they came upon a tiny abandoned garden.

Fern was breathless as she took in the scene around them. Even though the flowers and vines weren't exactly living, it didn't make it any less beautiful. There was a tiny fountain in the center of the tiny circle, it's water frozen in it's place. There was a gorgeous stone bench on the side, sitting under what looked like an arc of what were once roses. Fern heard slight bubbling as she looked over to see a tiny stream, trying it's best to withstand the freeze. Over the stream was a bridge, it's delicate white carvings into the stone made it look like it belonged in a fairytale. Fern could picture what the scene would look like in the spring, a small smile forming on her face.

“This is beautiful. How did you find it?” Fern wondered, her eyes still taking in everything. Fern turned to look at Aden his smile wide and warm.