Chapter 2: Rematch

After failing the Totsuki entrance test, Soma returned home to call it a day.

Soma: Man, what a day...

Just as he was getting ready to take a bath, someone rings the doorbell.

Soma: Huh?

He walks to the door to see who it is.

Soma: (That's odd. I wasn't expecting any visitors? Are those land sharks back?)

But to his surprise, when he opens the door, he finds Yusuke carrying luggage.

Yusuke: Oh, it's you. Good evening.

Soma: Um... You're... Kudo, right? Can I help you?

Yusuke: This is the Yukihira residence, right?

Soma: Yeah.

Yusuke: I'll be moving in for a few years. *Bows* Please bear with me.

Soma: Huh!?

As Yusuke was about to step in, Soma quickly stops him.

Soma: Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! Wait! Hold up!

Yusuke: Is something wrong?

Soma: You show up unannounced and say you're moving in? Is your head alright?

Yusuke: But... I was told to look for Yukihira Joichiro's residence. Am I perhaps in the wrong Yukihira residence?

Soma: Eh...?

In a state of panic, Soma quickly closes the door and calls his dad.

Joichiro: Yeah, Soma?

Soma: Dad, you've got some explaining to do! This guy named Kudo showed up at our doors saying he's moving in!

Joichiro: Kudo? Oh, you mean Yusuke?

Soma: Huh!?

Joichiro: Remember when I said an old friend of mine suggested working together? Well, her son will also be attending Totsuki, so he will need a place to stay in the meantime. I told her he was more than welcome to stay at my place. Did I not mentioned that part?

Soma: No you didn't! What am I supposed to do!?

Joichiro: Just let him in. I'm sure you two will get along great.

Soma recalled how unapproachable Yusuke was in their first meeting.

Soma: ...*-_-... (Get along, my ass!)

Joichiro: By the way, how did it go, the entrance test, I mean?

Soma: *Sweats nervously* Oh, um... well...

Joichiro: Oh, gotta go, something came up! Do your best to get along with Yusuke, and don't forget that you'll never catch up to be if you fail to graduate Totsuki, bye!

Joichiro hangs up, leaving an emotionally-destroyed Soma.

Soma: ...T^T... (I can't fail to graduate if I didn't even make it in...)

Regaining his composure, Soma slowly opens the door to see Yusuke was still there.

Yusuke: So can I come in, or...

Soma: I just confirmed with my dad. Sorry, I wasn't told anything in advance. Come in.

Soma invites Yusuke in.

Yusuke: Wait, this is a family diner, right?

Soma: Um, yeah.

Yusuke: Could I check it out?