Chapter 33: A Sword that Signals Autumn

Subscribers: 870

The Goal: 1000

SUBSCRIBE!!! I'M BEGGING YOU!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soma's friends were still in shocked to see what Soma brought.

Daigo: What the hell is that?

Shoji: A dull blade?

Student: The transfer student guy's done something weird again.

Student: Did he give up on the fight.

Fumio was looking at him confidently.

Akira: I see. So that's why you didn't come to the fish market this morning.

Soma: Huh.

Akira: You chose aging as a way to compensate for the difference in ingredient quality.

Yusuke: I'll say, that's an interesting tactic. But will it be enough to surpass what the season's got to offer?

Soma: You'll know once you eat it. I'll cook enough for you guys to try, too.

Yusuke: Very well. I'm looking forward to it.

Akira: Congratulations for finishing third. That's good enough to be rightfully proud of.

The two walk to their stations. Leaving Soma slightly confused.

Satoshi: Honored guests, the time for the Autumn Elections Finals to begin is almost here! Please look up at the ceiling!

The ceiling slowly begins to split open, revealing the navy sky and the full moon.

Satoshi: Soon. This is Gatten hall as it truly is.

The spectators were watching in awe.

Satoshi: The cooking time in the finals will span approximately two hours. This is the time it takes from the moment the moon appears in full, traverses across the skies, and becomes hidden once more.

Dojima: Though it's the same every year, it's still quite the spectacle. (I fondly remember those days... That night when I fought in the Autumn Election finals... All the chefs who have ever stood on this stage has seen the same moon.)

Soma recalls his father's words.

(Flashback)

Joichiro: Don't lose to anyone else until you lose to me again next time!

(Flashback ends)

Soma: (I'm gonna gun for the top seat among Totsuki's first-years!)

Yusuke: (I made it this far, I'm not falling back!)

Senzaemon: Ready!

The three chefs got ready.

Senzaemon: Let the cooking... BEGIN!

The chefs began to work.

Dojima: None of the candidates have touched their Pacific saury. They'll start by prepping their other ingredients. Typical, I suppose.

Senzaemon: Working the fish more than necessary will negatively impact its freshness. They have to maintain the fish's freshness as much as possible.

Leonora: *Giggles* I'm becoming excited, yes. Watching young men... this is sight for sore eyes.

Alice: Oh, Mother, you're being rather inappropriate. And your vocabulary is skewed, as usual.

Erina: Alice! Go back to your sit in the audience!