Chapter 24: The Banquet of Warriors

(Hall B)

Urara: In fourth place is Candidate Takumi Aldini with 90 points! In third place is Candidate Arato Hisako with 92 points! And in first place are Candidates Kudo Yusuke and Nakiri Alice with 95 points! These are the four proceeding to the main tournament from Group B! Now, let's see what's happening in Group A!

(Hall A)

Soma and the judges were feeling the impact from Akira's fragrance "bomb."

Soma: (So this is Hayama's curry!)

The aroma of Hayama's curry was so potent even the crowd could reach it.

Student: That dish really packs a punch!

Student: I can't believe we can smell it all the way up here!

Daigo: And it stings and prickles your nose!

Shoji: It's such a rich smell!

Makito: Contained by the "lid"

Makito: Is a luxurious curry full of umami from the kama!

Yusuke comes rushing in.

Yusuke: What did I missed?

Daigo: It's Hayama's turn.

Yusuke: The smell alone is enough to make you wanna go down there for a bite, but what about the actual taste?

Jun: (Hayama-kun...)

Makito: *Gulps down* (Take some of the naan with curry in your spoon and take a bite!)

Makito was enamored by the curry's flavor.

Makito: (No words can do this justice.)

Zenji: Covering soup with pie crust is a technique devised by Paul Bocuse, one of the preeminent chefs of French cuisine. Bocuse attributes the inspiration for this dish to the owan dish in kaiseki cuisine.

Shun: The fragrance of the dish is concentrated within the lid, and breaks free in an explosive burst the moment the lid is broken.

Ikumi: Hayama's weapon is fragrance. He scored a direct hit with the judges, using it to full effect!

Koda: I'm detecting the spices fennel, lemon grass, and cinnamon. Wait! There's something else that unites them... What lies at the center of this strong fragrance?

Natsume: *Stands up* Holy basil... In fact, it's fresh holy basil!

Soma: Holy basil?

Makito: A spice that is considered sacred in southern Asia. One whiff, and a most luscious sensation courses through your body.

Koda: In the Ayurveda tradition, a traditional medicine practiced in India, it's considered the elixir of life.

Natsume: But fresh, high quality holy basil is nearly impossible to find in Japan!