Chapter 32: Battle of Seasonality

It was early in the morning. At Polar Star, Yusuke was leaving his room when Megumi walked up to him.

Megumi: Yusuke-kun, are you going somewhere?

Yusuke: Sorry, did I woke you up?

Megumi: What're you doing so early before dawn?

Yusuke: I'm going to the fish market.

Megumi: The fish market! You're going to check out Pacific saury!

Yusuke: Yes. I gotta get the the best I can find so that I start recipe testing. Soma's going to have the same idea, so I can't let him beat me.

Megumi had an excited look on her face.

Megumi: (The fish market!) Hey, can I tag along?

Yusuke: I appreciate the thought, but it would be best if you accompany Soma instead.

Megumi: Huh?

Yusuke: He'll need all the help he can get for this one topic.

Megumi: Oh, okay.

Yusuke walks outside and stares at the black sky.

Yusuke: (Just six months ago all I would care about was getting out of this place asap. But now, I'm doing what I can to win some high school cooking tournament.)

Yusuke tries to shake those thoughts off.

Yusuke: (I gotta focus on the situation at hand. First, I'm gonna get the best Pacific saury I can find, then figure out what to make! I must find a way to defeat Soma and Hayama. And the key to doing that lies within the saury.)

(Later)

Yusuke was looking around in the fish market.

Yusuke: Man, no matter how many times I come here, it always brings back memories.

(Flashback, 11 years ago)

Kid Yusuke and Miyuki were looking around in a fish market.

Kid Yusuke: Whoa! Swordfish, catfish, flounder, tilapia, this place has everything!

Miyuki: Now Yusuke, I get you're excited, but don't forget why were here.

Yusuke: I know, I know.

Miyuki: Sightseeing can wait, okay?

(Flashback Ends)

Yusuke: Those sure were good days.

(Meanwhile)

Soma and Megumi were at the lively fish market. Megumi had an excited look on her face.

Megumi: Wow! It's so lively! This is really exciting!

Soma: Oh, the yellowtail amberjack's cheap. The horse mackerel, too.

Megumi: Soma-kun! Don't you think the other fish can wait until next time?

Soma: Oh, right.

Megumi: Soma-kun, have you ever been here before?

Soma: Yeah, I came with my dad a lot.

They look to find what they were looking for.

Soma: Oh, there it is! Pacific saury! I gotta say, this time I think the recipe testing process will be pretty smooth. Pacific saury was always on our fall menu at Yukihira. So I'm pretty confident when it comes to Pacific saury.

Megumi: Oh?

Soma: Huh?

The two look to see Yusuke looking around.