Chapter 12: The Memory of a Dish

Megumi had just served her dish to the judges.

Donato: Hmm...

Hitoshi: This is...

Hinako: ...a terrine.

Megumi: It is a Rainbow Terrine, featuring seven vegetables.

Hitoshi: Hmm... seven patés, each of a different color. They created stripes of color, like a rainbow.

Fuyumi: Wait, didn't Shinomiya also assign a Terrine in his lesson?

Kojiro: Oh, how interesting. You're trying to find fault with my recette for the Terrine of Nine Vegetables?

Megumi starts flailing.

Megumi: ...O-O... No, um... I... I... I just wanted people to see my own recette, so...

Donato: Well, let's see how it turned out for starters.

The judges proceeded to take a bite.

...

...

...

Donato: Delicious!

Hitoshi: Indeed!

Fuyumi: Yeah!

Megumi: ....?

Hitoshi: She made patés from potatoes, onions, carrots, zucchinis, and other vegetables to creat layers of seven different colors. Each layer was prepared to maximize each vegetable's flavor. I'm impressed she managed to pull off something so-labor intensive in such a short amount of time.

Donato: There are two kinds of sauce. One is a sweet-and-sour sudachi gelée. The other is a astringent green herb sauce made from a paste of several different herbs, with perilla as the main component. Pairing a terrine with sudachi and perilla. Now that's innovation.

Hinako: Mmm! The pairing of sautéed zucchini with herb sauce is so refreshing. Fantastic.

Fuyumi: The sudachi goes well with the lingering sweetness of the tomatoes, too.

Donato: I see! By combining seven patés and two kinds of sauce, you can enjoy 14 different flavors! This is very exciting.

Hitoshi: Indeed. These vibrant "stripes" are not only contributing to the visual appeal, but also to the overall taste of the dish.

Dojima: Tadokoro-kun, you're using sun-dried tomatoes, aren't you?

Megumi: Um, yes! Back home, we dry vegetables we harvest during the summer in the sun so that we can eat them during winter. I learned how to use the oven to dry them from Mo- my mother while helping out. When you sprinkle rock salt on halved cherry tomatoes, and slow-roast them at low temperatures in an oven at 120 degrees celsius, they become sweeter, and their flavor is greatly enhanced. I thought they'd be a nice flavor accent in the terrine.