Chapter 1

*Saya pictured above

         *Saya pictured above . I do not own the image*

Chapter 1

The sun was bright and unforgiving as Saya ran across the sand. Sweat and tears ran down her face as she ignored the screaming of the Superior Mother behind her.

"Saya! Come back now or the lashing will be worse than before!"

For once, she didn't care about the punishment. She only cared about getting away. Away from the Superior Mother, away from the girls who tormented her, and away from the Healers Order. The yelling faded away and she ran up the small sand dune to her favorite escape spot. The large tree at the top was the only thing of color Saya saw besides the dull colors of sand and the training temple. She loved the beautiful green leaves that adorned it. The Healers order uniform was plain. A tan dress that covered her from the neck down. Modesty was a must. Anything else was indecent and impure. Only once she took her vows would she be permitted to wear white.

The Healers order could be traced far back to the same beginning as the Jedi. The Healers Order for those women gifted in the healing arts. If the force was not strong enough to make them Jedi, they often turned to the Healers Order. Sworn to neutrality in the galaxy, they served all across the planets. Sworn to only love the Order and to dedicate their lives to helping others. But the blood of the original healers ran dry. Now the Order was seen as nothing more than glorified nurses.

She wrapped her arms around the tree and continued to silently cry. If she could speak or make noise, she had no doubt she would be screaming. She had lived her entire life with the Healers Order, but her formal training began last year. All the girls were trained on this planet before going to the High Temple to make their vows. Five years of training was required. But she was hardly through her first year of formal training.

All she could remember was being with the Healers Order. She was often reminded by the Superior Mother that she was thrown on the Temples doorstep when she was only a babe.

"Your parents did not want you. The world rejected you. Be thankful the Order can make use of you"

Had she been able to speak, maybe she could ask more. She rubbed her throat gently, tears still slowly rolling down her face. She was born without a voice. No one knew why. The other healers had no answers.

"Perhaps you are not blessed with a voice because you are blessed with the ability to heal."

That was true at least. Saya far surpassed the other girls in the healing arts. She did not know why. She heard one elder whispering to another that perhaps Saya held the blood of the original women of the order. But that must be impossible, as the order is sworn to chastity and took the vow to never marry.