CHAPTER 9-Stars And Daimonds

Swirls of Orange, red and purple covered the face of the slowly darkening sky. An obvious indication of nightfall which was just a few hours away.

I couldn't tell how long I had sat by my balcony just staring off, staring at the streets then the trees and now the sky. No one was home yet. Several times I thought of getting to work on the mystery guy but the thought of all the dead ends and lack of clues that awaited constantly discouraged me. Either way I needed to at least do something, my mind wouldn't let me rest till I had reviewed exactly everything I knew and/or thought about the case at hand.

So far he had made three known  appearances. First in the schools parking lot, next close to Laurel's house and then close to an abandoned bridge. Something told me that he definitely went to our school, for him to have made Laurel and Adrian targets, but... Whose car had he been searching that day and why?

Finding out the cars owner was very important but how was I supposed to do that? There were several black BMW's in school and I hadn't thought to check out the plate number.

He seemed to make his move at night, but in school it had been broad daylight but it was also quiet, I bet he hadn't expected anyone to come out. Hopefully that would help me somehow figure out when next he would strike.

He probably only wanted to Frighten Laurel but what about Adrian? Had he been trying to get to me or him? And what did he even have against any of us?

I groaned out of frustration. There were too many questions and too few answers. I fell back on my bed and screamed into the pillows.

“Oh my, I wonder what got you in such a mood”

I turned around hearing grams voice. I quickly got off the bed to hug her.

“How are you starlight? ”

“I'm fine” I lied

Gram guided me back to the bed and we both sat.

“Tell me honey, what's wrong? Grams asked as she smoothed my hair which was practically all over the place since I hadn't combed it properly since Adrian's visit that morning.

“I'm just a little upset gram, it's nothing serious”

“Didn't seem that way, you hardly get so moody, are you sure it's nothing?”

I remained silent, I hated lying to gram but worrying her with a baseless case wasn't something I was prepared to do either. Instead I just placed my head on her legs as she continued to stroke my hair.

“Wanna hear a story?” she whispered. I nodded, suddenly bubbling with excitement. We hadn't done this in months since gram had gotten so busy.

“What's it about? ” I asked

“I'll tell you. Long ago, during a time of peace for all who lived in Arlitheum. The Queen had just put to bed and brought into their world, the prettiest little girl. Her birth was the beginning of the end, a prophecy was quickly made about her although the prophecy was not known to all. The girl was brilliant and boomed with so much power that it amazed all who saw her. But soon problems arose, several killings had been reported and they were traced to one person. The victims all had one thing in common, they were all highly ranked in the Arlitheum royal court, powerful people but more importantly they were all lacking their souls”

“At first people supposed it was done by a reaper but those were very rare besides some of them had fang marks on them”

I quickly tried to recall all the creatures from the stories gram had been telling me since I was a little girl. Which one had fangs and bit people?