Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Karma

I munched my ham and cheese sandwich as I watched how my sister's weary face turned into a frown while reading my exam result. Naipaliwanag ko na rin naman sa kanya kung bakit ako bumagsak.

I'm only seventeen. I will learn things slowly!

"Bakit gano'n, Ate Sarah?" I asked.

I crouched on the couch. My teacher sister just returned home from school, looking stressed as usual with that messy bun while carrying that long shoulder bag. I directly brought up the result just right after she stepped her one foot inside.

Meh. I don't want to delay it. The result won't change anyway. As well as her reaction to it.

My sister let out a deep sigh. Pinatong niya sa side table ang mahiwagang papel. Napailing pa siya.

"Ewan sa 'yo, Riza. Lagi ka na lang may ibang rason sa tuwing papalya ang mga exam mo," sermon nito.

That's it. That's all.

She's not your strict intimidating teacher. She's a darling. A best friend to all her students. Lucky those kids in first grade I guess.

Nilunok ko ang huling bahagi ng kinakain.

"No!" I blurted out. "You are a teacher, Ate Sarah. You know how to trick the students. Bakit iba ang binibigay niyong exam sa tinuro niyo? That's unfair!"

She bent her knees to remove her black shoes and shoved them into the shoe rack. Nag-abala pa siya ng sandali para ayusin ang mga sapatos kong basta ko na lang tinambak doon.

"We don't spoon-feed everything, Rizaline. We teach the fundamental structure and it's your duty to further the information." Tamad na bumaling ito sa akin ng tingin. "Long story short, you didn't understand the basic structure. That's why."

"Sorry na..." I lowered my voice.

She just shook her head.

"I prepared dinner for us," I grinned.

"Thanks. Still, I prefer a good score." She smiled.

"Awe. Next time!" I outstretched my right hand. "Promise, Ate Sarah!"

"Don't swear, Riza. Just do it."

I smiled. "I will..."

While she's changing her clothes, I went into the kitchen and prepared the dining table. I put quite an effort into arranging the food. I prepared scrambled eggs, overcooked hotdogs which are better in my own taste, ham, and the dipping sauce made from soy sauce, vinegar, onion, and chilly.

I live with my sister, Sarah. My Mom has passed away two years ago, just right after Sarah passed the Licensure Examination for Teachers. Maybe she just really waited to see one of her daughters be successful. Father left us when I was three. Left us to another woman to be more specific. I had no hard feelings for him. Not that I care enough.

Habang nagdi-dinner kami ay binuksan na naman ni Ate Sarah ang topic na ayaw na ayaw kong pinag-uusapan kahit na saan, kahit na kanino. What do you want to do next?

"Ilang buwan pa naman bago ako mag-graduate sa Senior High ah?" dipensa ko habang kumakain ng saging. Sinawsaw ko ito sa mainit na gatas. The taste got even better.

"Rizaline..." She looked so done of me. Binitiwan niya ang kubyertos at uminom ng tubig. I watched how elegant she moves. It all seems calculated. She knows how to pick a glass of water, how to drink it, and how to put it back to its place rightfully.

I frowned. "Maybe Accountancy?"

She got stunned for a moment before bursting out into laughter. She lost her composure for a moment and unintentionally spilled the water over the table. But that didn't stop her ecstatic laugh.