Chapter 56

Shooting the corpse for the tenth time, the face completely unrecognizable now, Jerome tossed the empty Thompson submachine against a nearby trash can, a car screeching as it bolted further down into the ally and I onto the main road.

  One of the cult members who served as a makeshift caddy, was quick to retrieve the empty weapon, holding it like a holy relic-well as far as he was concerned, the fact that Jerome Valeska had used it, it might as well was one.

The lead had been a fucking bust.

It turned out that the snitch was only a lone shark who knew the only way of meeting Jerome without being cornered in the psychotic redhead's property was to meet him in the heart of the dark zone.

He had as much knowledge about the slimy pig the redheaded was hunting as the next guy, sick fucker even had the balls to say (right before Jerome sliced his neck) that Jerome 'better watch out for his own pretty boy son.'

Glaring at the ground before him, Jerome stormed over to his motorcycle, slamming on the engine.

  "Give the perimeter another check, don't leave a building nor a trash can untouched." He instructed Skeet who stood next to his bike, the older man nodding silently and handed Jerome his black helmet, the protective gear shielding his murderous expression completely.

Jerome rode mindlessly, dogging in and out of his (and Jeremiah's) territories. Pushing the bike harder and harder until he suddenly stopped randomly by another alleyway. Pulling off his helmet, he dragged a gloved hand roughly down his face.

Low whispering caught his attention when he went to restart the bike and he paused, climbing off and flicking out his switch blade. Maybe killing some homeless people would serve as a good release for his anger.

  Grinning at the idea of his potential victims expressions of horror and fear once they caught sight of his face, he stalked through the shadows, the whispering becoming more clear and he paused suddenly.

"You two be careful alright? If you need anything, you can come by the building with the fox carved into the door okay? It's the one with the painting of the piano on the front." Her melodious voice was soft, gentle in a tone that was reserved for their children.

    He rounded the corner, watching Elsie kneel before two children who couldn't be older than around seven and nine respectively. She handed them a bulging backpack and a gentle pat on the head before sending them on their way.

  She waited until they were out of sight before she spoke.

  "They live with their grandmother. They got stuck down here before the bridges blew and the Green Zone locked it's gates. She's too sick to attempt to venture out to attempt to get to the green and they refuse to leave her behind," Elsie turned to face Jerome who fully came out into the light, "the GreenZone can't afford to keep them anyway. When their grandmother is sleeping they steal what they can and if they can't find anything....." She presses her hand against the grimy bricks, expression pained.

  "I know you want to save all of them, but you can't." Jerome's voice lacked its usual luster of cruelty, instead replaced with something more painful-honesty.

  "If I can even help a little.....," She closed her eyes and Jerome moved closer, pulling her into his arms, resting his chin atop of her head, "what if something happens to us Jerome? What would happen to Jason, Millie and River....." She shuddered but he shushed her, walking up so he could cup her cheek.

  "Don't even think like that. Nothing's going to happen to us, alright? I promise you, those three are the safest kids in the state," he wrapped an arm around her and began to lead her back to his bike, "besides, who the fuck would be insane enough to try to take both of us out?" He cackled at the very idea and she nuzzled against his neck, taking comfort in his form.

  It's frightening how quickly things can turn into a total disaster in a matter of minutes.

    As Jerome handed Elsie his spare helmet, her radio buzzed, catching her attention.

  "Black Widow 4-10 can you read me? Over."

  Elsie fiddled the frequency until the voice, Macy was clear as day. "5 by 5 Black Widow this is Vixie what's up? Over."

   "Mayday! Mayday! Fucking turncoats are attempting to take the property. Took Skeet down for the count. Need your immediate return over." The sound of guns shooting muffled Macy's speech and Jerome snatched the device from his wife who seemed shell shocked.

  "4-10 This is Todd here, what the fuck do you mean they're turn coats? What the fuck happened over there? Over."

  "5 by 5. I don't have a Goddamn clue. If you don't get your asses home now, we're gonna lose the estate. Fuck! I gotta go..." A particularly loud shot sounded near the radio and Elsie was quick to grab it, Jerome slamming on the engine of the motorcycle, face enraged.

  "Macy! Where are the kids? Where are they?" Elsie's hands shook as she waited for the other woman to answer her.

  ".....Terry ran inside as soon as they opened fire. I haven't been able to go look for them since." Elsie dropped the radio, climbing on behind Jerome, screaming for him to drive as fast as he could.

  The entire ride back, all either parent could do, was regretfully let their imaginations run wild with what they would see when they reached their destination.