26-Their Hearts

The fighting stopped.

An emotional pierce went straight through Cat Noir's heart. He knew what had just happened.

Ladybug grabbed her stomach as Riposte's sword exited her body. With her hands covered in blood, she fell to her knees, no sound, no screams, but her eyes wide open in shock. Cat found his feet and ran to her. He caught her back before the rest of her body hit the floor. Hawkmoth stopped. He never planned for this to happen.

"Tikki...spots off," Marinette managed to say, before closing her eyes. Tikki flew out and started shivering on the ground. The piercing hurt her too.

"Marinette? Marinette, look at me!" Cat cupped her cheek and moved her head towards him, tears strolling down his cheeks. Her breaths were shortening quickly as each one of Cat's tears fell on her face. Le Paon scrambled over and tried to to be helpful. She turned around to see Hawkmoth just standing there.

"LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!" She shouted at him.
"ARE YOU HAPPY?!"

He clenched his jaw. With a snap of his fingers, all the akumas left their victims, transforming everyone back to their normal selves.

"Mari, Mari, come on babe, stay with me," he ran his fingers through her dark hair, waiting for a response. Bright red blood was still spurting out of her abdomen.
"We don't have time for this! Please Mari don't do this to me!" Cat tied his belt around her waist to try to slow the bleeding.

"Adrien, darling, praying isn't going to help, she needs a hospital," Le Paon patted him on the shoulder.
"Duusu, fall my feathers," Emilie reappeared and walked over to Hawkmoth.
"Gabriel, if you have any love left for any of us, you will call an ambulance and stop this madness!" She shouted, staring him harshly in the eyes. He stared back at her.

'She was right,' he thought.

"Nooroo, dark wings fall," he mumbled. At that moment, all the villains in the streets transformed back into themselves, dazed and confused. Gabriel walked over to Marinette and scooped her up bridal style.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?" Adrien's voice cracked as he screamed at him.

"Finally helping," he answered quietly. Gabriel brought Marinette, Adrien, and Emilie to the surface. Gabriel took Marinette to the nearest bed, Adrien's. He laid her down, her eyes fluttering as the wound in her stomach worsened. Gabriel took the phone and called the ambulance, then Marinette's parents. But he also made one more call.

The police.

Adrien sat beside Marinette and started caressing her knuckles.

"A-a-dri-ien," Marinette managed to say.

"Shhhhhh," focus on your breathing, it will be okay, Mari, I promise," Adrien said, tears rolling down his face. Marinette's clothes were soaked in blood and her skin was becoming paler by the second.

"I-I don't w-want to die Adrien," she whispered, opening her eyes.
"I love you, Kitty," she started crying.

"No, no, don't speak like that, you're going to be alright! I'm going to save y-"

"Adrien!" Mari blurted out. They looked into each other's eyes.

At that moment, Adrien knew her fate.

He leaned down and kissed her lips softly.