God Gave Me You...

When they arrive at Bushwell Plaza:

Freddie's POV:

I walk around the car and open Sam's door for her.

"why did you bring me to Bushwell?" she asks.

I look down honestly kind of afraid. "Because I kind of told Carly you need to stay at her place and I thought you could use a brake from your mom. It might help with your panic attacks." I say softly trying to show I care.

"Thanks!" she says while grabbing my hand.

We walk in the building in silence and as soon as we walk into the lobby Lewbert starts yelling at us.

"No kids in my lobby!" he screams at the top of his lungs.

"Shut it Lewbert!" Sam yells back and then Lewbert gives one of his infamous groans.

We walk into the elevator and then Sam breaks the silence between us and says "Thanks Freddie! Thanks for everything!"

I let go of her hand and turn to face her. "Sam I am here always. Whenever you need anything I am just a text or call away."

I pause and grab both her hands "Can I tell you something?" I ask.

"Sure." she says and smiles.

"I think you might be my soulmate" I reply softly trying not to freak her out or upset her.

"Why do you think that?" she asks curiously.

"Well" I say and then look down and pause. "Right before you texted me earlier during class, I had my fourth decision..." I pause again "wait have you had yours yet because I can't tell you the options unless you've had yours?"

"Yes" She replies knowing not to make a joke and ruin the moment.

I start to speak again. "as I was saying, before you texted me, I had my fourth decision and I picked the headphones. Well I put them on immediately and I heard labored breathing and panic." I continue, "Then when you texted, I thought it might be you." I let go of her hands.

She just stares in silence for a moment. Then she begins to speak. "Well, I'm not sure if we are soulmates, but I can tell you this Freddie..." She pauses to make sure I am holding eye contact. "I do need you. You've helped me through so many panic attacks the last few weeks. The person I have been lately isn't who I want to be, but you stay here right beside me and watch as the storm blows through." she pauses again. "I need you and I believe with all of my heart that God gave me you. He gave me you for the ups and downs, and for the days of doubt, and for when I think I lost my way. I do believe that God gave me you." She grabs my hands. "I am so thankful for you Freddie, you honestly have no idea. Thank you for everything. Thank you for being my friend." she finishes.

She made my heart melt and then it crushed me when she uttered the word "friend". Why did she have to say friend I think to myself.

"Wow Sam! Thank you!" I reply speechless. She appreciates me and actually notices everything I am doing. I wouldn't think that she would. I mean she is Sam, she usually just genuinely doesn't care what people do or say. She just jokes or angrily punches them.

I do know this much, I am beginning to fall for her more and more each day. I am seeing the vulnerable Sam that no one else sees and I'm loving that Sam... the beautiful broken Sam that is asking for help something I would never think Sam would do.

We don't say a word and walk out of the elevator hand in hand.

I let go of her hand and say "goodnight Sam!"