Marcus

The day she moved to Wellsbury, I knew it. There was something about her. Most girls I had met here were all made out of careful glass, easily breakable. Some cracked mirage of the others. But she didn't look anything like that. She looked like she was made out of something else. Wood maybe. She was genuine looking. She didn't look made up to look like the rest of the "perfect" Barbie girls in this unbelievably predictable town.

I watched from the front window as she walked into the house next door from mine. I was intrigued by her expression. She didn't look excited or upset or even tired, she looked expectant, like she already knew what she wanted out of this boring town.

When they went inside, I went back to my room. This is when I discovered her room was opposite mine, meaning her window was right across from me. I sat on my bed as I watched her unpack several boxes. What really caught my eye was the labels. The boxes said things like "Brontè", "Austen", and "Shakespeare". I was confused. All she brought were books? It looked like she didn't plan to stay very long, which is when I realized why the look on her face. She must move around a lot.

For some reason, I felt a weird urge to go and hug her; comfort her. But I knew that would be just about the creepiest thing i could do. Welcome to the neighborhood, here's a hug. I chuckled to myself as I got off the bed and sat in a chair next to my window. That's when she looked over.

It was a glance, but we locked eyes, and I swear I felt something. It wasn't good, it was hostile, like she was mad at me for her new fate. I figured she must not be in a good mood, so I decided to leave it. That lasted for about two minutes before I decided to go over there.

Her mother was sweet and let me right in. She told me to call her Georgia, which was very surprising to me. Parents usually preferred their last names. I walked up the stairs and into her room. I knocked and she looked up, scared. She put her hand to her chest and tried to regulate her breathing.

"Jesus, you scared me! Why did you come here, other than to make me jump out of my skin?" She asked defensively. Yep, definitely upset. I chuckled. "I live next door, our windows are opposite each other. I'm Marcus," I said, extending my hand. She sighed, and motioned for me to put my hand down. "I'm Ginny. I just moved here. Leave it to suburbia to have the neighbors bust in," she said. I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped my lips, and she looked up surprised. "Most people wouldn't find that funny," she said. I shrugged. "Well Ginny, I am definitely not most people. I'm also not a fan of this place. It's too boring," I told her. She shook her head. "Of course you would say that. You're the handsome guy next door who has not goals but to get out of here," she said.

I smirked. "You think I'm handsome?" I asked. She sighed. "No, I'm just tired. Thanks for stopping by Marcus, but I'd prefer it if you leave, before I pass out of exhaustion," she said. I bit my lip. I already liked her, she had a personality beyond hair and clothing. I nodded and walked out.