Chapter 8: Ember

I walk into class, the last week and then I am done, thank gosh it's almost completely all over. With that comes the stress of finals, the weekend went by quickly, and before I knew it is Monday. I take my usual seat in the top left corner, hidden from anywhere else. I liked to keep to myself most of the time and most of the people in the class are just not my type of vibe. I did have one friend Gage, he was the kinda guy who you knew liked you and you just were not feeling it and he turned into being your friend and gay. Yeah, he is a super down-to-earth person and helps me with assignments I am stuck on then usually I return the favor, with being his therapist. He takes a seat next to me.

"Hey Em, we have a guest speaker today." He winks at me.

"And he is super hot."

"Gage I told you, lawyers are not my type." I laugh while I pull my computer from my bag.

"Whatever, maybe he may catch your eye." Like on cue, our professor walks in beginning the lecture.

"Hello I hope everyone had a nice relaxing weekend, this week be prepared to be pushed, it is your finals week. Today I have someone very special. He is an infamous criminal justice lawyer from L.A and he has a book that was on the New York Times bestsellers list it is Adam Concorde." The class applauds as a tall man who looks to be in his late 20's comes to stand in front of everyone. He looks familiar, that's when he starts to talk.

"Hello everyone, as you know I am one of the youngest criminal justice lawyers that have repressed some of the biggest cases to date." The voice, the tone, the pitch sends me to a flashback.

"This isn't over Ember."

It can't be, my hand begins to shake and Gage looks over to me.

"Hey, are you alright? Is your anxiety acting up again, I know he's cute and all just don't worry." He laughs handing me the water from his bag. I take a sip and breathe. It can not be him there is no way at all. I calm down and that's when he finds my eyes.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Gage asks looking at me.

"I know most of you are still young and impressionable, just know the right division of law will find you itself." He says looking into my soul.

"You will be found soon."

-

After the lecture is over I sprint out of class faster than anyone else and I get a few weird looks. I practically run to my car.

"Sorry, Gage I will text you later, not feeling too good." I try to convince him. The long drive back to the apartment felt even longer today, those words repeating in my head.

"It isn't over Ember."

The main thing that scared the shit out of me was the fact he looked so damn familiar. I pull in front of the coffee shop and see Sadie walking out the front door.

"Ariana is moving in the freaking apartment!" She smiles hugging me. We just met a few days ago and I seriously feel like she is my best friend, which I never really had a true one of those and it was nice. 

"That is great." I say trying to sound happy and it ends coming out a little shakey.

"Spill." She stares at me.

"Well you know what happened at the club, I think I heard that voice today and it was a lawyer who spoke to my class."

"Oh shit, Ems I am so sorry." She pulls me in for a hug. We talk about the situation and it feels better just letting it out, we arrive at the front door. We open it to see Ariana sitting on a stool like an actual stool and not the counter, and two couches and massive bean bags.

"Welcome home roomies!" She says before standing up and showing off the furniture like a game show model, like the ones that show the prize you just won, just that the prize that is shown is a couch that looks so comfy that I feel the need to run and jump off it. Sadie and I look at each other and run for a bean bag.

"You are the absolute best." We both say at the same time looking to Ariana who takes a bean bag and joins us in our circle.

"No problem I know it was needed." She says smiling.

"I will pay you back a quarter when I start working," I say just happy to be sitting on a cloud.

"Yes me too!" Sadie says while curling up on the beanbag.

"It is no problem, do not worry!" Ariana says beaming. Then there was the three of us. All huddled around on the beanbags genuinely happy. A big thud comes from the door and then aggressively banging and pounding.

"Hello OPEN UP NOW." We hear from the hallway. We could not have one peaceful day. What the hell is going on now? All three of us jump up and are bolting towards the door. There stands a police officer with a piece of a key, it was destroyed. 

"Hey what's going on?" Sadie says staring at the man with wide eyes, worried.

"We are afraid we just saw someone try to break into your place and they had this." The officer holds up the key, a spare one. The one that was in my pocket only moments ago, the key was being held up.

"That's mine it must have fallen out of my pocket." I say a look of confusion written on Ariana's face.

"I'm afraid the man did get away, it is in your best interest to stay safe and be cautious." He says before walking away. My heart was beating a mile a minute. The thought that someone could have come inside.

"It happens do not worry, probably some weirdo trying to get some stuff, we will change the locks tomorrow in case he did copy it or anything." Ariana says reassuring me, I had this feeling deep inside that it was not just some weirdo. Maybe it was the lawyer? Could someone really do this to all of us? What if only one of us was home, were not taking the risk.