Chapter 15

BRIAR POV

It had been a whole month since I had had any sort of nightmare. I used to suffer from the wicked dreams almost every night but not any more. There had been no waking up in the night, being forced to down a cup of steaming tea before getting knocked out again or even lying awake in hopes that I wouldn't disturb Theo. It was almost as if my fears had vanished into thin air.

And I wasn't too sure if I liked that. It made me feel like I was sinning. I was beginning to feel more comfortable with Theo, to the point where I could even trust him. Sure, that new found bond did help ease my sadness and pain but what about my family? A few nice meals and gifts could not erase what he had done to my parents, my brothers. I would not allow myself to forget what he did. No matter how he treated me now, Theo never deserved my forgiveness. He was my captor, my abuser. The man who orphaned me and gave me a life sentence of pain before I was even a woman.

"Briar?"

I glanced up from my breakfast, looking at Theo as soon as he spoke my name. He liked it when he had my full attention.

"Yes?"

He placed down his coffee and stood up, strolling over to me where he then leant against the table, still facing me.

"I have a casino to attend tonight. It's for business but I want my wife there too."

I had noticed one thing recently (over the last week or two). Theo had been working a lot more than usual. He was always on the phone, leaving the house in the middle of the night or bringing people in. I assumed that something messy was going on and there was a lot for him to deal with. I wasn't complaining either- the less attention he gave me, the better.

"It will be a bit more busy than you're used to. But I will be in there the whole time, however I may have to part from you for a while. Okay?"

I nodded slowly. Over the last few weeks since the incident, Theo had been taking me out more- each time to a slightly busier destination. I knew that it was to encourage me to get more used to crowds, and I could tell that it was working. I would be fine tonight. That's what I'd keep telling myself.

"I have some business to take care of. I will see you tonight."

And so I returned to my breakfast without any worries. If only I knew what was to come.

"Theo! And.... Mrs Emberson I presume?"

A man came up to us, greeting Theo before turning to me. I did not miss the way the man raked his gaze across my body with a lustful gleam in his eye, and apparently neither did Theo because it was only seconds before he had a tighter grip on me- his face nuzzling into my neck, leaving soft kisses as he spoke.

"Stunning, isn't she Gerard?"

Those words obviously seemed enough for 'Gerard' to take the hint because he quickly averted his attention back to Theo, sensing the warning in his tone. My husband was a possessive man. He didn't like it when other people looked at his things. That included me.

Theo had dressed me in a stunning white dress that was embellished with golden rhinestones and sequins. The dress went down to the floor and hid the pair of matching golden heels that I wore on my feet. The neckline was low, exposing a considerable amount of cleavage and there were thin spaghetti straps holding it all up. The dress was amazing, it swished and sparkled with every step I took. Still, I felt like an expensive accessory for Theo to wear on his arm.