Chapter 14

THEO POV

I looked down at Briar's shaking figure, all curled up on the ground as people rushed past her. No-one stopped to help the poor hysterical girl that looked so broken down on the floor. They all just continued to rush by, as if she wasn't even there at all. See, I knew that Briar would always hate me for what and who I am, but at least I cared for her. I wouldn't ignore her like these people, I cared. Even if it was in a sick and twisted way. It was still better than nothing at all.

"Okay, Briar I'm going to lift you up."

I said before cautiously wrapping my arms around her shaking body so that I could carry her away and get her out of this crowd. Her head rested on my shoulder, making it impossible for me to ignore her sobs that echoed through my eardrum.

This was a bad idea. I shouldn't have done this, what idiot thinks 'Hey, this girl hasn't been in a social situation in years and I'm gonna dump her in the middle of a shit ton of people!'? It was a badly planned idea that I already regretted.

My plan had been to take Briar down to the beach. I had seen a few pictures that she'd painted over the years that were of the blue sea or golden sand, so I'd presumed that this was the perfect plan for a first outing. But boy...was I wrong. It couldn't have gone any worse!

I should have done something calmer. Like just the meal in the restaurant or have found a more quiet sight scene. If there hadn't have been so many people, then this would've still been ideal. Yet there were hundreds of tourists all buzzing around the area. No doubt most of them were on holiday and wanted to snap pictures with the glowing sunset. I even caught a glimpse of a loving couple, sat on the sand with champagne, looking so in love and happy. That should have been us. Only I knew deep down that it would never be. I could throw all the physicalities and gestures at Briar, but the emotions? That I couldn't buy.

I wasn't expecting to be forgiven for everything that I'd done to Briar and quite frankly, I didn't need it. I could do whatever I pleased with her, it'd only help her if she felt the same things for me that I felt for her. I didn't even regret killing her family. I did what needed to be done and I would have killed her too if she hadn't peaked my interests. Briar was there, readily available and I needed a wife soon who's family wouldn't drain too much from the Emberson name. Briar was the perfect fit. I waited a few years, until she turned of age and then married her straight away. It was pure luck that she'd turned into such a beautiful woman too.

I'd noticed on the walk back to the car that my little wife had passed out. That wasn't unexpected after the panic attack that she'd just experienced. It was better actually because it meant that when she woke up she'd be in a more cozy and familiar environment. She may hate me and my home, but Briar couldn't deny that she'd grown to feel safe and protected by myself and that house.

"Sir? Where to?"

My driver spoke from the front seat once I had Briar sat on my lap inside the car.

"Home."

I held her body close to mine, so close that I could feel her heartbeat vibrating against my own chest. Even after a panic attack she looked flawless. Her skin glistened slightly from sweating but her cheeks were blushed and rosy. She looked unbelievably angelic in her sleep and all of me wished that she could remain this peaceful forever, though in reality it would only be a matter of hours before she awoke and we'd have to endure all of this again. It must've been God's way of punishing me for all that I had done. Fitting though, I suppose. I did deserve it after all.

BRIAR POV

I didn't remember much of the incident, only that I'd passed out due to a panic attack and then Theo had bought me straight 'home'. I hadn't seen him so far today, though when I'd woken and asked a maid she informed me that we were going to have dinner later on. Apparently there was some sort of work crisis and he had to be focused on that today. I sometimes wished that I knew more about what was going on in the Emberson business, but I knew that it was best for me if I stayed clueless. Whatever atrocities Theo had been involved with, I didn't want to know. It would only scare me and besides, he'd never tell me anyway.