Chapter 22

Trigger Warning: This chapter contains violence and suicide references that may be triggering to some readers so READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!

BRIAR POV

"I swear if you come any closer I will fucking slit my throat!"

That threat seemed like it had been taken seriously enough by Theo for him to raise his hands in surrender. Yet out of the corner of my eye, I could see his guards shifting closer towards me. It was a clear sign that they were ready to pounce on me and I wasn't about to go down so easily. After all of this, my plan wasn't about to be derailed by Theo's damned crew.

"And them!"

I waved my knife around me in a dramatic circle like it was some sort of morbidly sharp magic wand.

"Tell them to stay back too! Or I will do it! God help me Theo, you know I will!"

My voice was gravely now- coming out raspy from the amount of strain and hate in my words. It was as if I was pouring every last thing I had into each line.

"STOP THIS AT ONCE! Briar. Put. The. Scissors. Down. RIGHT FUCKING NOW!"

I suppose one flattering thing that I could take away from this whole situation was the seriousness in Theo's voice. He knew that I was not kidding around with my threat and if his blanched skin tone said anything about him, the mighty Don Emberson was even scared. Now that was something entirely new that I had never seen before. Theo. Scared. And all because of me and my threats, who knew after all this time I had what it took to get my own way regardless of what restraints he'd placed upon me and my incredibly limited life.

Theo was no longer sat in his chair but stood so that he was a few feet away from me. He was far enough so that he couldn't grab me but he was close enough to encourage me to keep an eye on him just in case he lunged out for me.

The guards on the other hand had circled me like sharks do bait, but again, my warning to stay back had been heeded. I had enough space for this.

"Okay Briar. Obviously you're not screwing around here. So, what is it you want? More freedom to roam the gardens? A new maid or something... I don't know.... a fucking dog. Whatever it is, you can have it."

A smug smile grew on my face as I reminded myself of exactly why I had waited to do this in front of Theo rather than in the privacy of my own room.

"You're right. There is something I want."

His brows shot up and upon some sort of excited instinct- he took a step forward, before remembering my threat and taking a step back away from me again. Good, he was actually the one obeying me for once. I had to stifle a giggle at the thought of me being the dominant one in our 'relationship'. My sudden surge of power was giving me some sort of magical high.

"What? Whatever it is, you can have it."

I nodded my head slowly, glad that for once we actually had an agreement and were able to see eye to eye on something no matter how late it was in our lives together.

"I want to see the look on your face when the one person you've fought so hard to keep perfect dies. And there is nothing that you can do about it."

Theo's face warped into one of pure horror and shock as I raised the blade of the scissors to my throat and began to apply pressure. My hand was shaking because, despite seeming confident, no amount of pain could ever truly make this task easy.

I knew that my life was never going to be worth fighting for. I had no parents, no family, and the one person that I was actually allowed to have contact with was the reason for that. I was trapped in a massive house that I could hardly ever leave because I wasn't trusted not to attempt an escape. But of course, even if I ever did escape, I knew I would be bound to a life of agoraphobia and anxiety. Being around people had become so terrifying and daunting because I'd never been able to do it growing up. I had no independence or qualifications to make something out of the scrambled pieces of my life. I was hopeless.