Chapter 17

BRIAR POV

"I don't understand why you have brought me down here."

I spoke softly, just loud enough for Theo to hear. I felt extremely on edge and felt myself begin to sweat with anxiety. For some reason, he had taken me down to the dungeons beneath the Emberson mansion and it was bringing back too many dark memories from what I'd experienced in one of the family's infamous cells. My own traumas made me certain that whatever he was about to show me, it would be vile and permanently burnt into my mind for the worse.

"Come"

Theo took my hand- pulling me along the cell corridors until we stopped. I could see a man, hiding in the shadows of the stone walls. It wasn't until he shifted that I saw his face. And once I saw him, I let out an instant breath of relief.

The man who had assaulted me.

Only days ago he had drugged me and hurt me to the extent where I'd suffered from constant nightmares. But now here he was, chained and bruised in a dirty cell. I would find his fall from grace funny if it weren't for how heavily I was involved in the circumstances. Watching him in pain was a result of my own. If he'd never hurt me, then Theo never would have locked him away and he certainly wouldn't have had a reason to in any way.

Theo nodded towards a guard who took out a key and unlocked the cell door. The moment it was open, another two guards went and lifted the man- dragging his battered body out into the open area of the dungeon-like hall. There was more space there. It was the area where Theo would torture his victims. It could also be seen by the other prisoners from there- no doubt why he chose such a spot. He liked the fear in all their eyes as they realized they would be next.

"Theo, what's going on?"

I asked but was dragged off by my husband to follow the guards and my abuser.

The area was laid out like some kind of theatre. The man was tied down to a chair, numerous tools laid out on a table next to him. And then we sat before him in our own chairs. It was like we were about to watch a movie, only that was not the case. I knew what was about to go down (at least I thought I did) and although I did not want to stay and watch, I knew Theo would make me. It was easier to be compliant. When the time came, I would just look away and think of something else. Although I hated this evil man for what he'd done for me, I still didn't want to witness him being tortured by my husband. I always hated gore.

"Now.... you Sir have done something bad. Something that quite frankly.... I find it unforgivable. Disgusting....even."

Theo stalked around the man, circling his shaking body as if he was prey- all the while holding a gun in his hand and waving it around threateningly. I'm not sure if the man was scared of the gun. But if he was, he shouldn't have been. I knew as well as anyone in the room that if Theo was going to kill him, it would be with a gun. That was far too easy for him. Too painless. If anything, that man should've been begging for a bullet between his eyes. It would be a blessing compared to whatever twisted plans Theo had in mind.

"You raped my wife-"

"I DID NOT RAPE HER!"

The man screamed and I couldn't help but feel myself rise with relief. He hadn't raped me. Theo had not yet explained the details of what had happened to me while I was drugged but finally getting confirmation made me feel better. Although, still, the thought of this man's intentions made me sick. He was old enough to be my father yet he'd preyed on me like I was some kind of toy to be used for his pleasure.