Chapter 20

Instagram- theatramentouswriter

THEO POV

Sitting at one of the more secluded tables of the 'Bella Oro' Casino, I was surrounded by a group of men who were almost as dangerous as myself. The key word there being almost.

Fenton Underwood, Greg Hornor, Isaac Courtez, Woody Morrow and Gideon Bull were all well known by the Casino's employees (and I'm sure, security). They'd come here often enough, and most of them left each time with a notable dent in their wallets. All apart from Isaac perhaps. He was the only man here who was actually any good at poker. The rest were just cocky tools who thought they could play well to ever actually win anything. You would've thought they'd have learnt by now. However, I suppose that when those numbers in your bank account reach a certain height... losing money doesn't really matter any more. So that meant they were in it for the rush.

I could see a bluff from a mile away, it's the reason why so many of my fellow players were already working up an anxious sweat. I'd come here to win and they could see that.

"So, Theo... how is that little wife of yours?"

It was Fenton who raised the initial question however it wasn't long before Woody began to show interest in the topic too. Any conversation concerning a gorgeous woman and these men turned into starved dogs.

"Ahhh yes, the infamous Mrs Emberson. I have to admit Theo, I did not ever expect you to settle down. So what is it that's so... special... about this girl?"

Gideon sniggered before opening his mouth and unleashing a whole load of shit that he'd surely regret later on.

"Isn't it obvious my friends? The bitch must have a pussy made of gold to entice our dear friend here. I mean, you all saw her at the wedding. Sexy little vixen indeed..... say Theo, care to let me share her anytime soon?"

Gideon and I had shared our women before. Usually, I'd have no issue with letting him play around with my leftovers but Briar was not just any girl. She was mine. I'd practically invented her and wasn't about to throw away all those years of captivity I'd put her through to let a dick like Gideon Bull have his way with her.

Trying hard to keep my anger controlled, instead of lashing out at Gideon I simply gave a harsh warning glare that I knew wouldn't be taken lightly. Warnings rarely were ignored when they came from men like myself. I ignored his question, opting to pull out my gun and place it down on the table instead. The thump it made as I put it down should've been warning enough.

"Now, now boys. I am sure that Theo has his reasons for keeping Mrs Emberson around. And who are we to judge? We should be happy that our friend has found someone at last."

Isaac Courtez was certainly anything but a friend to me. It was blatantly clear to everyone that he'd kill me the first clean chance he got. But there was one thing that I had over him, one thing that made the difference between us. I was a born killer. He was not. I'd been prepared to murder anyone and everyone since my childhood, whereas Isaac had only recently been contacted by his long lost father to take over the business. So, understandably, he still clung onto whatever shed of humanity he had left. He'd lose it soon enough.

Having won all three of the evening's poker rounds, I'd discovered that any fears I had of Isaac were unbacked. He was no threat to me and my game reputation nor my business. His fault was not his wealth, ignorance or cockiness but his strength. Courtez was far too weak for this life. He had never been properly broken in so was now training on the job. That was not how things were done in this life. I had no doubts that Isaac still had nightmares about whatever sweet girl next-door he had to leave behind when taking over his father's position. Speaking of sweet girls....