Luke 1:57-66

December 23, 2020
#GospelReflectionChallenge

'John the Baptist'

Today's gospel is about the birth of John the Baptist, two days before the birth of Jesus. The order shows that Jesus is greater than John because John goes ahead to prepare the way for Him.

When John was born, Elizabeth's neighbors and relatives rejoiced with her. The child was a sign of God's favor, the answer to his parents' prayers. We can say that this is also true whenever a child is born. Regardless of the circumstances and whether the parents hoped for it or not, every child is a blessing.

Sino nga bang mag-aakala na magkakaanak pa si Elizabeth gayong siya ay matanda na at baog pa. Isa lamang itong patunay na walang imposible sa Diyos. Lahat magagawa Niya kung ito'y kanyang ipagkakaloob.

The good news is that the Lord promises to send us a prophet to prepare us before that day, and this is symbolized by the birth of John the Baptist. But the sad news is that this prophet comes to us daily but we fail to recognize him. Do you hear the voice of prophecy in them calling you to God? May God give us the grace to be prepared at all times for the day of his coming to us. Amen.

Gracious and holy Father, please give me: intellect to understand you, reason to discern you; diligence to seek you; wisdom to find you; a spirit to know you; a heart to meditate upon you; ears to hear you; eyes to see you; a tongue to proclaim you; a way of life pleasing to you; patience to wait for you; and perseverance to look for you. Grant me: a perfect end, your holy presence. A blessed resurrection, and life everlasting. Amen.