Chapter 19

"Transmuting your gender and identity shapes into the best way out of danger indeed," Sofia said with closed eyes as she sipped her tea. 

After meeting Bond, William and I searched for Payton with the goal of returning back to our quarter to introduce him to the rest of our group. As we came back, Albert seated us in the living room, allowing Bond to share his story. 

"Immigrating wasn't a stable option," Louis's voice was heard from the kitchen.

"Albert promised to keep me safe, and in return, I had to comply with their plans. I don't mind identifying as a man if it secures my safety." Bond added, accepting a cup of tea from Louis who had joined us seconds after his statement.

I nodded my head, understanding his reasons. 

"I have to mention, Y/N, your eyes are extraordinarily sharp. Honest to God, I believed that my disguise could slide right past just about anyone." He laughed, amazed at my ability to recognize him, twice in a row.

"With all due respect, your makeup and attire could fool a stranger; however, it is rather simple to read you," I replied.

"Simple for you." William corrected as he stood behind my chair, reminding me that my observation is superior to a regular human. "I doubt that someone would take the time to look closely at your structure, or have the potential of catching onto such details for that matter." 

I nodded once again, failing to recognize my own capabilities.

"Regardless, if you wish to identify as a man, we shall respect your wishes," I stated, a warm smile appearing on my lips. Informing Bond of our acceptance was the least I could do after I had mistaken him for some sort of a creep.

"I give my thanks to you." He smiled appreciatingly, seemingly forgetting our encounter and my face full of unease. 

"Additional family member, wonderful. Now, I am unaware of William's plans so far but I would fancy knowing your specialties, simply because my sisters and I stay organized with our missions. If you are excelling in a particular field, do tell, in order to keep our missions flawless." Claire sternly said, visibly holding onto her suspicion towards outsiders.

William had already told me of Irene's competence towards stealing. Changing her gender would have no effect on her, now his, abilities, thus I decided to take the opportunity of getting proper rest. 

Before walking towards my bedroom, I bent down next to Bond, placing my hand on his shoulder in order to obtain his full attention.

"She does this to everyone. I assure you, you'll gain her trust in no time." I whispered in his ear, easing his discomfort towards her tone. In response, he gave me a relieved simper after which I left.

----

Payton paced around the room, biting her nails while mumbling to herself. 

Tonight held a welcome gathering, put in order by the captain of the ship. The sole purpose of it was to entertain the passengers.

"Will you be attending?" Payton stopped in her tracks, facing me.

"I don't see a purpose," I answered, resuming my reading session.

"How could you not? It will appear awfully rude of us, as a graceful family, to reject captain's invitation." She insisted. 

"As if he genuinely cares to such extent." I rolled my eyes at her gullible statement.

"Regardless if he cares, think about how it will look from the rest of the guests' perspective. Need I remind you that we are still to keep our reputation? Despite the atrocity of a feeling we possess towards nobles." She snatched the book out of my hands, plopping herself on my bed.