Chapter 3: Class

Naomi exited the car as soon as she dared. She knew the perfect drop-off point, since she had done this so many times. 

If she ditched the driver before they entered campus, her mother would fret all day long. If she waited until they reached her class, her classmates would talk behind her back. Naomi didn't like either option, so she selected a point on campus that would eliminate both. 

Inside the gates sat a park, and the fountain made the perfect drop-off point. It sat far enough away from the gates that the driver could honestly tell Naomi's mother that he had taken her onto campus, yet far enough away from the classrooms that Naomi was unlikely to run into her fellow schoolmates. 

In Naomi's mind, a perfect solution. 

Besides, the fountain offered her a moment of reprieve, albeit short. Naomi had lost many a pretty penny to that fountain, all for naught. Wishes never came true. 

That never stopped Naomi from trying. As the car pulled away, Naomi pressed a penny between her palms and closed her eyes. She should at least look like she had a reason to be at the fountain. When they car had disappeared, Naomi let the coin fly. 

The penny landed with a plop near the center of the fountain. 

Naomi turned on her heel and walked away. 

The trek from the fountain to class helped Naomi clear her head. To situate her mental state so that she could get through another day. 

Dealing with school required different headspace than dealing with work or home. Naomi used the time walking to push aside the worries from other areas of her life. She should focus only on the area directly at hand. 

In this case, her favorite class and her least favorite people. 

It had taken weeks of debate to persuade her mother to allow this elective class. Naomi had no intention of missing a single moment. If she had to put up her guard, then so be it. Other people didn't matter. Naomi was a good enough student to get by without others' help. Words didn't slay her. 

Naomi stopped outside the classroom doors, just to take a breath. She would need it in the suffocating atmosphere inside. 

"Mornin', Naomi," muttered one of the guys from the class as he skirted around her. 

Naomi hadn't made note of his name, nor did she care to do so now. In a years' time, she would remember none of these people, and they wouldn't remember her, either. 

Hiking her bag higher on her shoulder, Naomi stepped into the brightly-lit room with a singular focus. To get to her easel in peace. 

Painting class had never been on the to-do list that she and her mother made together, but when her academic advisor suggested that Naomi take an elective class to spruce up her already-perfect GPA, painting had been the only option Naomi considered. It had aggravated her mother, who wanted Naomi to participate in the debate team instead. 

In the end, on this subject only, Naomi had gotten her way. 

A blank canvas greeted Naomi at her assigned easel. Naomi traced her fingers down the rough surface as if memorizing each woven thread. 

"The Ice Queen's here." 

Naomi winced. She knew the voice, and she didn't like her. They had two other classes together, neither of which had drawn them any closer. Apparently, Naomi's first impression had been bad. 

Perhaps because Naomi was originally supposed to room with her before she pulled out to live at home. Or, perhaps, because Naomi didn't participate in as many extracurricular activities as she would like. Whatever the reason, Naomi was certain that Maddie Rousseau hated her ever-living guts. 

One of Maddie's best friends looked up from organizing her paintbrushes. "Just ignore her. She ignores you." 

"That's no fun." Maddie, unfortunately seated beside Naomi, turned on her stool. "Why are you even taking this class? You're not getting much credit for it." 

Naomi elected to act according to the friend's words. Ignoring Maddie may not be the smartest route, but it might be the fastest route to get her to stop talking. 

"Hello? Earth to Elsa?" Maddie leaned forward, resting an arm over her knees. "I knew you were rude, but are you not even going to acknowledge that someone is talking to you?" 

"Idiot!" 

Naomi and Maddie both turned to look at the back of the classroom. 

A girl with model proportions and the pretty face to match lifted a paintbrush from the floor. "The paintbrush. Stupid." 

Maddie rolled her eyes and spun to face her canvas. 

The girl smirked, an evil grin that didn't match her aura, and tossed Naomi a wink. 

Had she stood up for Naomi on purpose? That didn't make sense, especially since Naomi didn't know the girl. Why would she do that? What ulterior motive did she have? 

"Good afternoon, class!" The professor sailed through the doors holding a pile of rolled paintings and a lamp that looked like a genie might sprout from it at any moment. "Sorry I'm late. Let's get our paints ready, shall we?" 

Naomi didn't waste her time bothering to think about the girl behind her. She had precious little time to spare. Instead, she took out her art supplies and twisted her hair up onto the top of her head. 

The professor arranged the things from her arms onto a table. "Today's theme is old meets new. Please paint our items as you see them, creatively." 

Naomi picked up a pencil and set to work. 

Time always flew when she allowed her creative side to work. It took emotional energy that she didn't often spare, to create from her head onto paper. Naomi didn't even realize how the two-hour class sped by, until a hand rested on her shoulder. 

From beside her, the girl who had interrupted Maddie looked down. "Let's do lunch." 

"Why?" Naomi's pencil paused mid-air, poised to create a perfect replica of the swirl on the lamp.

"You're not as literal as you're making yourself out to be." 

"I don't know you." 

The girl shrugged and extended a hand. "Claire. You're Naomi. Let's do lunch." 

Naomi sized up the girl beside her. Even her clothes screamed "wild child". A short, tight skirt. A sleeveless shirt that didn't quite cover her lower abdomen. Shoes that laced halfway up her legs. 

"I don't do lunch with other people." Naomi rose from her seat, let her hair down, and grabbed her art supplies. 

Claire laughed. "Then start now. Let's go. I'll treat." 

A friend? Not likely. People didn't like Naomi. They never had. Why would this crazy girl be so adamant about spending time with her? 

But... it didn't seem like a terrible idea. Claire had stood up for Naomi when others wouldn't. Maybe she could be a good acquaintance, if only to get Naomi through the end of college. Naomi would figure out what their give-and-take exchange might be later.