Chapter 100: Finale

There was no ring for proof, no certificate as it hadn't arrived in the mail, and neither he nor Naomi had changed their place of living. But the gauntlet had been thrown and the deed had been registered.

Like it or not, Kieran was a married man.

It didn't explain how he found himself entering the grand ballroom with a woman who wasn't Naomi on his arm. That explanation could only be found with his mother, who had arranged it.

Kieran didn't know how to break the news to her, so he hadn't said a word. But he would never see this woman again after the shareholders' ball ended. She was nothing more than an acquaintance, despite his mother's best efforts.

She was also the sole reason that Kieran arrived late to the party. Apparently, his mother's choice of woman had no sense of punctuality.

"Kieran Colburn. It's been awhile." One of the company's investors picked his way from a cocktail table to Kieran's side.

Kieran ignored the woman on his arm in favor of shaking hands with the businessman. "It has. How is your wife doing? Is she better?"

"Oh, much. Thank you. I'm surprised you remembered."

Of course he had remembered. Kieran had a spectacular memory. If he didn't, he wouldn't have been able to make it through during the time he preyed on women for money. His nature had changed so much that he hardly thought of those times anymore.

The woman at his side extended a hand toward the investor. "I'm Amelia Lake. Nice to meet you."

Yep. Already annoying. Amelia was his mother's fourteenth choice, anyway. Kieran hadn't expected her to be the cream of the crop. She was, however, the most assertive of all the blind dates his mother had set up for him.

Too bad for her, Kieran had visited a courthouse just the day before and made his vows to the woman he had always loved. Amelia had no chance whatsoever.

A familiar voice floated from nearby, tickling the furthest edges of Kieran's memory. He had heard that voice, only once, but that day had been too memorable to forget. So had the woman's demeanor.

Amelia's attempt at small talk with the investor granted Kieran the time he needed to surreptitiously seek out the voice's owner.

Sure enough, standing across a cocktail table from one of the newly-appointed board members, Ms. Rowe stood smiling and cajoling. Kieran might have overlooked her presence, if not for the woman positioned between Ms. Rowe and that rich kid.

Naomi was stunning with her hair pulled up and shimmering iridescent silk swathing her lithe form. Kieran could stare at her all evening. A fact that only irritated him more. Especially with the way the new board member was eyeing Naomi like a prize. It felt like the college retreat all over again.

How did that girl manage to attract every weirdo in the city?

Naomi's gaze lifted, as if she heard every one of Kieran's thoughts. Their eyes locked.

"Excuse me for a moment. I'll get something to drink and be back." Kieran flashed his brightest smile to the people around him, though he didn't allow anyone to know that the force behind it was anger. "Amelia, continue your chat."

He couldn't take the chance that she would follow him. Because Kieran had a few choice words to say to his new wife.

True to his story, Kieran sidled up to the dessert table and perused the glasses of wine, juice, and cider. As if it would take him a moment to make a decision. He and Naomi had performed many such farces.

As he predicted, Naomi sashayed up to the table next, close enough that they could talk but too far to be misconstrued as anything serious.

Kieran didn't like that, either.