Chapter Fifteen

The look of relief on her face when she came out of that bathroom was almost immeasurable. I'm not sure how common it is for rich women to get pregnant( since a lot of them get sterilized, or at least they did ten years ago but a lot has changed) but she swore to the air up and down she was done with him. I was just a bystander, and eventually I just left. I did have bags of perishable goods to put away, after all.

  I think she understood. At least- she hasn't angrily called to yell at me.

  I try to rub the sleepiness from my eyes. I only end up with red, swollen ones. Oh well. Victor's reasonable enough- i think he'd understand sleepless nights, and because I used to run on them all the time it won't affect my ability to do my job.

  I push his front door open for what feels like the hundredth time. At first it's silent, but then there's the faint sound of activity coming from the kitchen.

  I head in that direction. When I peek my head around the open-floor-plan-doorway, I see Maria and her father laughing together. There's no sign of her depressive episode- only happiness.

  Most of my family is dead or have killed themselves because of what I did, except for my aunt on my dad's side. Hell, she pretty much raised me. If anybody would understand it's her. I want to go to her now, explain the full story and bit just what the media portrays of me- but that would be dangerous for us both.

  Because obviously, people who have lived in the United States for a good while know exactly what I look like. Even though I'm supposed to be dead, I'd get jumped along with anyone I was with. People really are brutal like that.

  Even though my aunt looks like the sweetest person in the world, they'd only see me. And that's not fair I her- I know that. I guess it'll just be one of those "what if's?"

  What if  I'd never helped kidnapped the First Lady of the United States?

  I'd probably still be living in Emily and I'd apartment. We might be married by now.

  What if I hadn't snapped when I did to save Lauren's life?

  I'd probably have gotten the death penalty along with the prince. If I hadn't done it for him, he would have thrown me under the bus the second he got the chance.

"Damon- sit down. Grab some breakfast." Victor noticed my presence and immediately smiles again. I don't deserve that from anybody. I am broken, sometimes worthless. It all depends on the day.

  "Oh, no thank you sir. I already ate." I smile.

  "You got room for some breakfast sandwiches? Eva's a damn good chef." He continues.

  A few feet away, at the oven, Eva smiles. She's sweating but it's clear she's doing what she wants to do. I don't get the appeal in cooking for other people; but the sparkle in her eyes says it all. I wish I still felt like that about my work.

  "No sir." I reply.

  But when I glance at the spread below, my stomach grumbles. There's the breakfast sandwiches, roasted potatoes and vegetables, fresh orange juice, fruit salad, and green juice. All of the above sound amazing.

  "Bummer." Victor shrugs. "Come here for a second."

  He suddenly stands up, surprising both me and his daughter. What more could he want? I already sent both of them the schedule template they asked for. Maria filled it out with a list of clients she was seeing this week, ranging from drug addicts to violent serial killers. Knowing her, every single one of them will get off with no charges.

  I follow him to another room, far away from the kitchen. He immediately makes me wrack my brain, and I try to retrace my steps. What could have pissed him off this past month?

  "What is it, Sir? Did I do something wrong-" I start. He immediately shakes his head. In this moment he reminds me of my own father; except he was really shitty and victor seems like a good one when he's here.

  "Oh no, nothing like that. Damon, you've done a phenomenal job. I'd like to offer you a pay raise."

  Again, my brain buffers. I stutter, because I don't think I've been working here long enough for that. Hell- I've barely been in the country a month.

  "I..sir... what?" I raise an eyebrow, trying to prevent myself from going into shock. Knowing him, that raise could be bigger than my current salary.

  "You've kept my daughter alive and out of dangerous situations for the most part...... " His voice trails off as he remembers the one client we visited last week who attacked her. She dropped him, and he got an extra year on his sentence for assault, but still. "For an entire month. That is an accomplishment. Now, would you prefer a five or ten thousand USD raise?"

  "Uhm.... Two?" I hesitantly reply. I'd say I'm doing pretty good with the money Lauren gave me, and my current salary. Hell, if this keeps up I'll be able to retire in five years. Who can say the same in today's economy?

  "You may be the only person in the world I know that'd ask for a smaller raise. Just for that you're getting ten." He ignores my request. Of course he would- why did I expect anything less?

  "But-"

His facial expression says "Shut it or I'm giving you a bigger raise."

  I contemplate it for a second, but I don't want to be greedy. I've been given this second chance. I don't want to mess it up. There's no guarantee my next boss would be as nice as he is, or as rich- or that I'd be able to get something in my field of expertise.

  "Oh suck it up. I'm giving you a raise whether you like it or not."