Chapter Twenty Three

We've been awkward around each other since that night. I do my job but nothing more. Instead of the usual talks we'd have on our way to places, the three car rides since have been silent. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does. This is what most bodyguards and secret service agents deal with on a daily basis. In fact, most protectees don't acknowledge their presence. I'm lucky to even get that, lucky I got it with.....Lauren and Kyle. Oh, how I wish I could call them and apologize again, even though she's the only reason I'm here.

  It's been so long- my memory is fuzzy, but here's what happened the first time we met:

  I was previously recruited to be on her protection detail by the deputy secret service director. It was just a few days before the inauguration, I think I remember Kendra being in there too- and I introduced myself.

  "Hello ma'm, My names James and I'll be on your detail for the next....well.... However long unless you decide to fire me." I said.

"Lauren-" She held out a hand for me to shake. This was not a common practice at the time. It was believed any personal relationship with your protection detail was a bad thing. I started researching how the secret service works now- and my god it's different. Now, you're allowed to have whatever type of relationship you want with them as long as they pass a lie director test saying they wouldn't let it get in the way of work. "What are your work hours?"

  "What do you mean?" I was confused at first because nobody ever asked me that question.

  "What times will you be on the detail?"

  "Oh, whenever you're awake, Ma'm." I replied.

  "Great- and please don't call me that. I'm what- four years older than you?"

  "Close enough." She shrugged.

  I've blocked it out forever because it goes to show just how amazing she is, even behind closed doors. I couldn't imagine her pulling off the bullshit some past presidents have done- even her own husband seems to have skeletons in his closet.

  There's a rumor that he had our own Russian ambassador killed. Another that he and David's relationship never ended- that one I don't believe for a second. He loves Lauren, and David loved Darryl.

  Darryl- I wonder how he's doing. He did a sixty minutes interview a few weeks ago but other than that nobody's heard from him. It's like he also found some remote country to disappear to.

  I pull up in front of the local courthouse. Outside- I didn't realize how high profile this trial would be, there are cameras. Media. Then in the middle of them all..... Meg Haines.

  Godamnit.

  If I act normal, maybe she won't say anything. Maybe she'll be too focused on the trial....but who am I kidding? She is an insanely smart woman, smarter than any president or politician I've ever met. Her investigative reports are the best..... if anybody's going to figure out I'm still alive it'll definitely be her.

  Act normal. I can do that.

  I get out of the car. A camera or two from local stations turns to me- the others are still focused on the family, as I open Maria's door. She awkwardly gets out, looking to the side and not in my eyes. Then meg recognizes her as the girl's lawyer and immediately approached us.

She takes one look at me and her eyes narrow, but for once she keeps her mouth shut.... Which only means she is formulating what to do in her head.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.

  "Excuse me-  Ms.Hernandez can I speak to you for a minute?" She asks.

  "Of course." Maria smiles and nods. Ms.Hernandez...... oh what I would do for that last time. The power that comes with it is insane.

  "Well first..... what is your game plan for today? It being a rapid trial and all?"

  "I can't speculate that as of yet." Maria replies. "Don't wanna give the prosecution any clues."

"Alrighty then- you've said a few times that you will always defend your clients no matter what because..... thats what a good lawyer should do. I'm wondering if you would find it in you to defend that one surviving rapist?"

  Maria shakes her head. "I do have limits, of course. I can defend mass murderers and mafia members until I'm blue in the face but.... Rapists are a whole different story. They don't have morals. So no, I would not."

  "And mass murderers ... or mafia members do?" Meg furrows her eyebrows in confusion.

"Yes-" Maria insists. "To a point. They may kill, and torture every now and then- but with mafia members it's usually on people who deserve it. With those who become mass murderers on their own there's usually a psychological reason. I've learned from working with them for so long that.... many of them are remorseful. More often than not they do not had animals or children, and when they do it's because they're not all there in the head."

  "Well there you have it folks I'm Meg Haines here in Costa Rica....." her voice fades out as she walks away without saying anything.

  Maria shakes her head and starts to walk in a side door, away from the cameras.

  "Maria wait a second we need to talk." I suddenly blurt out. She closes the door behind us and we're in some tiny hallway, a floor below a courtroom from the angry noises coming from above.

  "What's there to talk about?" She shrugs. "You have issues with causal relationships. I get it. I guess I'm kind of the same way and I... don't know what this is but I already like it. If you need time I understand."

  "I do....care about you. I just don't know if it's in that way yet." I stutter. Now, she's an inch away from my face.

  "Well-" She swallows. "Tell me when you figure it out. I've got a justified murderer to defend."