Chapter Seven

I'm still rubbing that spot in my finger. For the next few days, I'll be able to feel it. Now, in the shower- it's worse than usual. The bump is slightly swollen, moving my finger hurts, and touching literally anything hurts but oh well. That's life. I've been through worse.

  I finish up in the shower and step out. With the towels that came with the place, I dry my hair off. Victor said he doesn't care what I wear as long as I do my job right, so I throw on a pair of jeans and t shirt. Anything more would restrict mobility, which is a definite no no in this line of work. I'd go naked before I'd wear a full suit while on shift.

   I give myself a long, hard look in the mirror. Clean, clean shaven and in a work outfit, I don't recognize myself. The last time I looked like this was.... The day before the incident.

  I turn away from the mirror and focus my attention on getting out the door.

  It's also a good idea not to carry much, so I just shove my phone in my pocket. I take the now familiar route through the tiny neighborhood and smile at the same woman I saw two days ago, who I've gotten used to in such a short period of time. Last night she brought me food- which only reminded me how badly I need to go grocery shopping and spend some of my money on kitchen appliances.

  I re-emerge near the same section of road. When I put my thumb out, a random guy picks me up. I write the address down on a piece of paper and he nods. Hitchhiking is just how people get around in this area- nothing to be ashamed of like how people  try to make it seem in the U.S.

  He doesn't speak at all, but near the end I hand him a thank-you bill anyways. I stand in front of the gate now, three feet away from the chip reader- grimacing as I bring my hand up.

  When I place it within range,  I feel a tiny zap near the chip. This is why we're still supposed to let it rest for twenty four hours- much less than it used to be, but still.

  Sure enough, it opens the gate. I step in, my paranoia expecting some net to come shooting at me, but when none do- I relax. I can abandon the paranoia now. It's okay, I'm okay.

  Emily's not. She is dead.

  I let myself in the front door when no one comes to answer it, and start calling out victor's name. I hear footsteps upstairs, and then a young woman emerges- the one I'm supposed to be guarding, I assume.

  "Hi-" She puts out a hand for me to shake. "I'm Maria. You're....Damon?"

  "Yes ma'm." I reply. "Is there anywhere specific you'll be going today?"

  She nods. "I've got to go to a courthouse  for a meeting with my client today. Should be quick but...this one tended to... be quite violent with his victims so.... You definitely have to come."

  Oh yay. First day back and I already have to be on high alert. I've never forgotten my secret service training- nobody has, but it's a tad bit rusty.

  They wouldn't let us sleep more than two hours at a time the fifth week we were there, since they wanted us to be prepared if a situation ever came up where backup was needed. And it actually turned out to be useful- because there were plenty of those, especially while I was working for Lauren.

  "Of course." I fake smile. "When do we need to leave?"

  "Soon-" She says, pulling her phone out. "Oh my god."

  She puts a hand over her mouth, genuine shock in her eyes. Curiosity, I peek over her shoulder.

  Doctor who helped save the life of Lauren Wells during the 2023 attack shoots himself in the head