Chapter Forty Eight

Eleven Years Ago

I stand off to the side of the podium, in front of a crowd. They are not here to see me. Today Marisol Rodriguez will be inaugurated- after the death of our last Vice President. This will also be Lauren Wells's first outing in a long time after.... What happened.

  God, I hate myself right now.

  You know you're a shitty person when you help plan the kidnapping of a woman who's already been traumatized.

  Mumbles come through my walkie talkie. I pick it up.

  "Yes?"

  "The packages are arriving soon."

  Kyle will come first, then Lauren since they're not allowed to ride in the same vehicles right now. Everything is a security risk, according to the head of secret service. While I agree, I think their are other methods than forcing a married couple to ride separately.

  Maria isn't part of my security scope, so I won't be dealing with her. And if I'm being honest, I don't get why he chose her to be the Vice President of the United States. She has no experience in higher levels of government, none as part of an elected office.

  Ironically, she got her position as the district attorney after the last one died.

  "The first two packages have arrived."

Kyle and Marisol.

  The mayor of D.C will start her speech sometime in the next 30 seconds. At the opposite side of this makeshift stage, another agent mumbles something into his walkie talkie.

  And seconds later, there she is. Just about everybody in the country recognizes her, but especially D.C residents in attendance.

  After the cheering's settled down, she can finally talk.

  "Thank you, thank you thank you. But who am I kidding- none of you are here to see me. When I first ran for mayor, I knew I was in way over my head. I didn't have any previous political experience, and I certainly didn't know what to expect in my office. But for whatever reason the people of D.C chose me. Whether it was my policies or the way I've treated every single person living here- documented or undocumented- with respect, I don't know. But I do know this: When I first heard that the Vice President died, I thought we were doomed. And I don't mean to disrespect to the President by that, but his Vice President was a force to be reckoned with. I think everybody watching, whether that's from home or in the crowd can agree with me there. But then I read more into Marisol Rodriguez's political opinions, and my own changed. She may not be running for her office like I did, but that does not change that she is a damn powerful woman."

  Out of breath from speaking so long without a break, she gasps. She reaches for one of the water bottles at the podium, gulps down half of the bottle, and then wipes her mouth.

  She continues, a hand to her earpiece.

  "So that is why I'm proud to introduce Marisol Rodriguez- the soon to be Vice President of the United States-"

  At the sound of her name, Marisol walks out through the makeshift curtains. She's received well by the general public, even though Kyle's advisors advised him to pick someone else. The mayor's speech helped quite a bit.

  "And, Ladies and gentlemen- the president and First Lady of the United States!"

  The cheering somehow becomes louder, which I didn't think was possible. Kyle and Lauren emerge. Her baby bump is visible now, and while they don't say anything- there are shocked looks on a few faces like "how did the First Lady manage to hide something like this for so long?"